uuugghh... i swear it hates me

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
so the duster will not be my daily driver for a while.... i went to the auto glass shop today and got my windshield fixed finally. after two years of wet feet every time it rained i thought it was about time. In doing so i noticed i had a wobble every time i slowed down. found out i had a tire that blew a cord... stuck the spare on and rotated the tires. about a week ago my guages pegged and i was told the voltage regulator in the dash was shot. so i ordered one and it got to me tonight. also, it hasnt been wanting to start since then, like the starter isnt getting enough voltage, but i replaced the alternater and voltage regulator last week. Pulled the dash out and replaced the dash voltage regulator and plugged the dash in again... guages pegged on me again. tried replacing the dash cluster with a spare i had lying around hooked up the battery again....nothing happened... not even a dome light. found a blown fuse and replaced it... still nothing. did some testing and found out i dont even have power to the fuse box now. Im extremely upset and have no clue where to start on this one. Its time to replace the wiring but i cant afford that right now. anyone have any idea whats going on? I really need another driver so i can put this away for the winter. motorcycling is starting to get really cold in minnesota. why does my car hate me?

Have you checked the fusible link? Also check all grounds, especially the block to frame.

Also try bypassing the ammeter, that thing can be a weak link also.

did you hook the ammeter back up when you pulled the dash? the power inside comes via the starter relay stud that should have a fusible link. follow that to the bulkhead and check for power there too.

If you didn't disconnect the negative battery cable and did see sparks fly around the amp gauge wires... there is your problem (fusable link etc.. pointed out above).
If thats not the case and the problems seem to change from one condition to another you should have a look at the ignition switch.
Your car doesn't hate you .It is helping you find and correct its problems before the weather gets REALLY COLD . Good luck and rmember to pet the dashcap when you geter done :)

hmm.... hooking the ammeter back up.... ill have to try that... haha. hope thats what it is. i guess i figured that was separate from the rest of it.

without the ammeter, you get no power. 1 wire is from the alternator, the other from the battery feed. you will also find the welded splice that goes to the fuse box, headlight switch, and ignition switch.

-
Back