V-10 in a Dart?

-

RCDART

Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a running, driving 3/4 ton Ram with the v-10 for cheap. Anyone try and put a v-10 in a 68 Dart? I read it's 4" longer than a 360? How about the O.D. Trans?

swisswill has been working on one I think... But his car is totally custom frame, susp, everything... Look at his pics for size/figment. Seems like a truck one might not be the best choice for weight and stuff but IDK really.

Buy a HEMI truck, put the v10 in the truck an the HEMI in the car, much simpler swap!!

Just kiddin
Joe

Lol, prob a better idea for sure. I may have a 65 Satelite option for the v-10 lol

More space for sure! I used to have a 67 belvedere, sure wish it was still around, the HEMI woulda fit so easy in that pig!!!

my guess is that it could work if you do a firewall mod/tunnel mod

may have to fab a special trans mount

it would be wild

4 inches, is that all? Considering the additional bore is about 4 inch itself, i would think its a wee bit longer. Put modded rad on other side of support.....or no mechanical fan. 700 lb is alot of weight up there. Absolutely no room for that trans in the 67 tunnel. Run the 904 up to the ragged edge!

Way more involved then just stuffing it in, will be a very costly and time consuming task. Just spend your money wisely with a hopped up 340-360 and enjoy the car. IMO

Like the guys are saying it's a heavy engine!!! The truck V10 is really only good for a truck. They are good motors built for low end torque and durability. If you look at the pics of my V10 you can see the long intake runners kind of like and old Max Wedge just shaped differently. The Ram V10s are also a low compression engine making 315 Hp and 450 pounds of torque on 87 octane. I've seen a few builds online and they can make good power... but are very expensive to build. Also not many performance parts are available for them and most Viper V10 parts will not interchange. Even though you got a good deal on your V10, I'd go with a 360 Magnum if you want a good cheap engine for your Dart.

I do like my V10 but with the lack of performance parts... a Cummins swap is in the future for my Ram!

Attachments

• 100_3426.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_3428.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSCN1197.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 316
4 inches, is that all? Considering the additional bore is about 4 inch itself, i would think its a wee bit longer. Put modded rad on other side of support.....or no mechanical fan. 700 lb is alot of weight up there. Absolutely no room for that trans in the 67 tunnel. Run the 904 up to the ragged edge!

It's more than 4".

The V10 is 37" Long from Bell (rear of the block) to the Water Pump Snout.

For comparison...

Slant 6 : 32" From Bell to Water Pump Snout

Small Block : 29" From Bell to Water Pump Snout.

So the V10 is 5" Longer than a Slant 6, 8" Longer than a Small Block.

Fitting a V10 in an A-Body can be done one of 2 ways.

A : The Swisswill Way. Set the engine back through the firewall/under the dash. On the downside, you lose the windshield wipers and heater.

B : Extend the front clip (Hood or Wiper Cowl, Fenders, Fenderwells, and Front Frame Rails). If you extend the front clip 6", you can run B/E Body Torsion Bars.

Yep thanks guys, didn't realize they were that heavy and i doubt the Dart would like it. I'm in the middle of a Blow through turbo project on the 318 in the dart now but it's getting complicated especially when you don't know what you are doing lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 195
Nice V-10 viper install in Charger from car show at Cecil Co. Dragway this past weekend

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 181
-
Back