V/8 Swap

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
Is it worth the money and effort to V/8 a A body mopar? I'm asking because I have seen some 6 cylinder cars that are in good shape, no rust.I did find a real clean 1974 duster for 29k. It's a 318 with ps, pdb, ac, is that a good price or outta sight? A classic car dealer in Illinois has a 1973 or 1974 duster that's in awesome condition but they are asking 41k and I don't think that it's worth that.

Yes, but based on some of your comments/threads it would end up an unfinished project.

I've done several SBM into a-bodies over the years, since about 1974, easy-peasy, and the tire smoke alone makes it worthwhile. mine are usually switched to manual transmissions at the same time, but not always..

Good bodies are getting hard to find, so yeah, if I found one, and was 20 years younger, or if I had a lift; I would jump on a swap. 360/4speeds are the bees knees.

I have a pet chicken for sale for $35,000. Is that a good price?? It is compared to the one the neighbor is asking $40000 for. But everything is worth more in Texas ya know.

My opinion of buying a "restored" classic car co. somewhat resembles my desire to buy a car from the new car dealership. These classics are there on consignment becasue the seller wants more than he can sell it for himself and the dealer makes is $$ as he has to make a profit and pay all his salesmen. Why take a laaic to BJ? Because you know it will bring more $ than selling it at home.
But I am old and senical.

So are you asking if swapping a V8 into a slant makes the slant car worth more $?? yep. Or if the swap makes the owner happy? could be. and faster? for sure.
Its a swap that has been done now 2 millions times.

A /6 to a V8 swap is worth it IMO.
If the /6 is worn out and/or your just not interested in rebuilding the /6, the V8 for mileage is a reasonable option so long as you don’t start in with adding a larger cam and gear and etc…..

Typical hot rod parts, a carful selection of a cam for mileage can go a long way with mileage and power. While it won’t be a tire frier, you could enjoy a 260+ hp 318, 300+ hp 360 and still get mileage.

An overdrive trans would pay dividends if it stays there for the duration of ownership and allow for a change of gears for more get up and go.

Then there are those that enjoy the slant or the poly. They enjoy being different.
Whats worth more? The 74 slant Duster with a transplanted stock 318 orwith the slant? Not the slant.
I've been fortunate to have owned the hemi cars, the six pacs, etc. been there. I would care less if to have again even if they were affordable!

For the guy, that will have just one classic Mopar, he wants his dream that he an afford. So many time a slat to v8 conversion is the simple answer.

Good thing we all are not holding our breath to see what Mopar Dan has this week…

And nothing wrong with V8 swapping a slant. My 70 B5 Duster is a 74 360 swapped car.

with todays gas prices? Its hard to swallow $5/gallon here in a 14 mpg 'fun' car. That's a buck every 3 minutes here. I'd do a Gen3 (for that restored car money) and get almost double the mileage and 50% more power.

At what price? While a 5.7 may litter the junk yards in some areas of the country, not so much others. Even if the HEMI engine and trans were free, what’s the cost?

couple thou, if you get the holley stuff. was thinking about doing it to 1 of my trucks, but after adding up all the cost, i just put a tbi 318/518 od in it and can drive it anywhere. got it for sale/trade and can't get any serious offers. but then, it is not an "a" body.

with todays gas prices? Its hard to swallow $5/gallon here in a 14 mpg 'fun' car. That's a buck every 3 minutes here. I'd do a Gen3 (for that restored car money) and get almost double the mileage and 50% more power.

Thats why we live in Tx. not Ca. Gas here is a mere $2.79!
That Gem 3 is one ugly mother. :poke:

At what price? While a 5.7 may litter the junk yards in some areas of the country, not so much others. Even if the HEMI engine and trans were free, what’s the cost?

i was looking into to it for our dart. by the time you buy the engine, wire harness, computer, fuel system you are talking close to 8k at least.

Ouch! Though to a certain extent it’s a good route to travel.

i was looking into to it for our dart. by the time you buy the engine, wire harness, computer, fuel system you are talking close to 8k at least.
my very loose back of the bar napkin maths put it at 10~12K if you were very selective, fortunate with parts and patient-- waiting for deals, using 2nd hand parts and shopping judiciously.

of course you could just open up a catalog and melt a CC and be at 20 easy money

(cue everybody saying it can be done for 10 bucks and burrito with money left over for a 12 pack)

Is it worth the money and effort to V/8 a A body mopar? I'm asking because I have seen some 6 cylinder cars that are in good shape, no rust.I did find a real clean 1974 duster for 29k. It's a 318 with ps, pdb, ac, is that a good price or outta sight? A classic car dealer in Illinois has a 1973 or 1974 duster that's in awesome condition but they are asking 41k and I don't think that it's worth that.
29K for a 74 Duster would have to be in excellent condition. Id stay away from dealers myself
I think swapping a 6 for a V8 is ok depending on the car and it your doing the work yourself
You should be realist in what you can afford, related to what you'd want

-
Back