v6 to v8 swap help

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
I was looking at my 6cyl today and was thinking the k frame looks the same as the v8 k frame, can i bolt the 318 in its place?

Need a whole bunch more info....year/make/model? accessories? options?

Mark

that's funny....anyways, it's a 72 dart with power steering.

I believe he was referring to the fact that they didn't have v6's until the mid /late 80's and that was in some trucks and vans.

Your "slant" 6 K member will need to be swapped in order to install a V8 unless you get a conversion motor mount kit.

slant 6 sorry, I've heard about the adapters but it looks to close to the v8 k member, and almost like the "slant 6" adapters are different, oh well. will the adapters for the v8 raise the height of the motor.

slant 6 sorry, I've heard about the adapters but it looks to close to the v8 k member, and almost like the "slant 6" adapters are different, oh well. will the adapters for the v8 raise the height of the motor.
I put a 360 in place of the 6 cyl. in a 66 Dart with the Schumacher mounts,check the link,they have what you need.

Look up TransDapt adapters for the earlier engines. Non spool mount engines.

As I understand it, the 64-66 models used the same K-frame for /6 & V-8 models. This K-frame can be used down to the '63 model year. The 67-72 model years used different K-frames for /6, LA V-8, and B/RB V-8 models. The 73 and later models used the same K-frame for /6 & V-8 models. Because there is no change in the front track, the 67 & later K-frames all interchange.

Engine mounts and sway bars are not interchangable. A 73 & > K-frame can not use engine mounts from 67-72 models. The 73 & > K-frame used a spool mount, and the sway bar mounted through the K-frame. Consequently the 73 & > sway bar can not be used with earlier K-frames. FWIW, the transmission mount changed to a spool type with the 73 model year. It is possible to mix cross-members with no problems.

e.g. My 72 Demon now has a 75 Valiant K-frame that has retained the 1972 model cross-member. It was originally a /6 car. All I needed to do was get the correct engine isolators for the 75 K-frame, bolt them to the '68 318 and install. No adapter kit needed. It was an easy swap that I did from underneath.

The '73-6 A-body used a different k-member between the 6 and 8....

Thanks, Mark

i have the same idea i want to take out my 225 straight 6 and put it a 383 or 400 big block for my 1966 barracuda. what would i need to do and get to prep

i have the same idea i want to take out my 225 straight 6 and put it a 383 or 400 big block for my 1966 barracuda. what would i need to do and get to prep
if you are looking for shumacher mounts for 6 to 8 i have them for sale..6 to 360 using a 6 k frame...if you need a good non rusty k member i have that also..tx j

Welcome to FABO! I'd stick to a small block if I were you. A big block will require some serious mods. With a small block, you can use many stock 273 parts to do the changeover. The K-member is the same one between a slant 6 and a small block also. The best thing is to get a donor car for all the pieces that need to be changed. Otherwise you'll need to scrounge a bunch of parts. Do a search for previous posts on what all needs to be swapped.

StreetMaster or Shumacher mounts, 1" spacers between K and subframe, pound body seam in trans tunel flat, custom headers or HP logs with small clearance issue on driver side steering shaft, dropped center link if yours didnt come with it already in '66. B fits better than an RB. Dont be scared, be creative....or stroke a 360 and have more inches than a stock B ever did. I still got the Streetmaster mounts....$

-
Back