V8 conversion

-

basement

Reaction score
Does the K-member change when going from a /6 to V8 in a Abody? And what else, from the front of the car forward would have to change?

It does need to be changed if you want to use factory V8 components, but you can use the /6 k-member if you buy conversion mounts from either transdapt or schumacker.

Chuck

Hey Adam. Did you allready have the sandwhich mounts and do you know how much there going for these days?
I seen the davertised in poly for silly dollors somewhere.

Rob, The trans dapt kit comes with 2 new rubber mounts. One think one (stock A body) and a thick one(Truck or Van I think) I replaced the thin driver side mount wiwth a Moroso steal mount. Steal mounts are $25 for a pair.

IM000760.jpg

IM000760.jpg

IM000760.jpg

Those rubber mounts look good. I had bought a pair of replacements...(made in China) and my little 273 ripped them in half within six weeks.

Don't make a bad choise...make sure there "NOT" from those guys that make rice and 200 for next to nothing.:-D

IM000760.jpg

IM000760.jpg

I think Schmuacker has the expensive mounts I was talking about. There Poly but also interlock so you can't blow'em out. That is worth it to me if I needed to use the sandwich mounts.

I was really impressed with the schumaker mounts. High quality, good directions and the motor slid right in.

Hey Basement, here is a list of everything I required to complete the conversion in my 74 Duster. I went with the Schumacher mount kit because my 74 had the spool type, Schumacher conversion was pretty straight forward. Hope this list helps, maybe help provide a rough cost as well. Have fun !!!!

Attachments

• Engine Conversion List.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 264
hey, so you guys say its pretty simple to swap /6 to a 318? i have a 71 valiant 225, and i want to put in a 318 A block poly built from 1956-67. would this stil work even tho its a different era? would everthing line/match up? im thinking i may also want to get rid of the 3-spd auto(lame) and put in a 4 spd. would doing this make the task easier? anyone have a comment?

James, I answered this in your post.

A 318 Poly? Why would you want one of those? They were an OK engine, and it would physically bolt in, but parts are hard to find and they are way heavy. What would you use for exhaust manifolds? The selection of performance parts is almost zero as well. Then again there are guys who will spend twice the cost of a built 360 to install a first generation Hemi...

I believe the poly's all had steel cranks however, which might be worth something to a 340 guy.

hey, i'm selling my schumacher /6 to v8 motor mounts, A body, Was gonna use them on my 74 duster but decided to just swap out k member because it has a factor sway bar i wanted to use. $150 shipped to your door. I'm putting up an ad in fabo now, but you can have first dibs on them if you want them.
-Eric

-
Back