V8 to Slant Six swap: Sacrilege to must, but what would need to be done to have it happen?

-

Greg A-M

Reaction score
I'm still keen on getting a manual, either 3 or 4 speed, for my duster but I'm pretty sure that buying another car of comparable condition that already has a manual in it is as cheap or cheaper than gathering all the parts needed to do the swap.

What happens if I find a v8 duster with a manual and I want to swap it for my six cylinder? What would I need to massage or swap to get it to fit. Everybody always talks about doing for 6 to 8 but I've not heard much about 8 to 6.

If you have a car with a slant in it pretty easy I would think, K member, linkages rad, prob not real bad.

The easiest is a K frame change and the proper engine mounts,you would be good to go. Lots of slant frames for the A's.Heck you could buy a complete donor car for the same as just buying a K frame.Sell off the extra parts and make money.
You are not the only one thinking of doing this.I want to do the same with a B body.Hope to find a 1970 slant K for a B. Also thinking of changing my 68 Valiant to a slant from a 273 (maybe)..

If you do find a V8 stick car you won't be able to use the fly wheel or the bell housing as they are different.

Prob need a slant bellhousing flywheel etc also, not sure of that side.

When the weather breaks,March 2017 or so.. I'm doing 6cyl to 440 swap so I'll have what you may need... also spare 6cyl

You should state the year when asking. Looks like a 73+ based on avatar.
You are probably correct that you are more likely to find a 4 spd manual in a V-8 car. If 3 spd and 4 spd bell-housings are the same (I don't know), then easy to find a 3 spd slant car. If not, the bellhousing may be a tough and expensive find. A Tremec 6 spd manual would be even cooler, but doubt anyone makes an adapter plate for a slant.

You should state the year when asking. Looks like a 73+ based on avatar.
You are probably correct that you are more likely to find a 4 spd manual in a V-8 car. If 3 spd and 4 spd bell-housings are the same (I don't know), then easy to find a 3 spd slant car. If not, the bellhousing may be a tough and expensive find. A Tremec 6 spd manual would be even cooler, but doubt anyone makes an adapter plate for a slant.

I recall reading a year ago or so that there was a group buy (no longer active) for an after market bell housing with a plate for late model transmission, perhaps it was the tremec.
The quick time below is for mopar 3 and 4 speed transmissions. I was looking at getting one for a while but my plans changed. It is designed to accommodate an 11 inch flywheel. I contacted Quicktime and McCloud about an 11 inch flywheel but they do not sell one. I think you can buy a Small block or Big block flywheel and have one hole drilled out for the off set bolt on the slant crank. (I would have it re balanced).
QuickTime RM-7072 Bellhousing – Mopar Slant Six - Holley Performance Products

CichliDart's link to the Holley Quicktime answers some questions. That bell-housing attaches to either a 3 or 4-spd transmission, so the basic shape is similar. But, it has multiple mounting holes to allow that, so a 3-spd bell-housing won't bolt to a 4-spd without a lot of mod's that may not even be possible. Probably better to buy it, if worth $700 to get manual. I would hold out for a Tremec adapter since lighter aluminum. But I hate shifting. As is, I barely have 1 hand for steering while juggling drinks and food.

-
Back