vacuum advance rebuilder

-

Vitamin c

Vitamin c
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a vacuum advance rebuilder? I've had an original prestolite distributor done by Advanced distributors and am needing to have the original canister opened and the rubber diaphragm replaced. I was told it is a very tricky repair and there may be someone in the south doing rebuilds, but he was unaware of who it is.

is the canister different than a regular slant/small block distributor (maybe even BB)?

The physical canister is the same, but the arm is different, allowing different advance depending on what engine it came from. I was told some canisters are even made for distributors that rotate the opposite direction

Advanced Distributors is one of the first to come up in an online search for vacuum can rebuilders. Why didn't he do it?

Advanced Distributors is one of the first to come up in an online search for vacuum can rebuilders. Why didn't he do it?
He says he can do some manufacturers units, mainly foreign stuff. He explained that the mopar style is very hard to get apart without damage. He has a die that he uses in a press to reassemble the unit once apart. He did say to stay away from some of the rebuilders out there due to poor workmanship. He also said he has heard of one person in the south doing them, but has no contact information.

Try this:

Attachments

• VACUUM ADVANCE.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 204
I caint get it any bigger. Send me your email address and I will email you the big version.

you looking to save the entire thing or just the arm? Take arm off and tack to new can or take can apart at the seam and replace diaphragm from a new unit and then reuse old arm, press together in a vise and tack 2 halves back together in a couple places, dont burn new diaphragm. Run a bead of JB weld around the edge to seal, sand smooth and paint silver. Lot of work for a vacuum can....

you looking to save the entire thing or just the arm? Take arm off and tack to new can or take can apart at the seam and replace diaphragm from a new unit and then reuse old arm, press together in a vise and tack 2 halves back together in a couple places, dont burn new diaphragm. Run a bead of JB weld around the edge to seal, sand smooth and paint silver. Lot of work for a vacuum can....
I would just as soon save the whole thing. Advanced distributors retrofitted a modern advance can to the original distributor, so the function is correct. it just doesn't look correct for an original distributor, and if one can be found or repaired for not crazy money, I would like to do it.

take a pic of the correct canister and what is on it.

AND

tell us the number on the arm, 8-11.5 usually.

-
Back