Vacuum Pump Questions?

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
I lost a ring on my engine so when it is at the machinist getting freshened up I am thinking about going with rings for a vacuum pump setup.
I need advice....brand...type..pitfalls...ect. I know the basics but want to know if the $ vs. reward is there. my current combo is maxed out parts wise so this maybe the last area for gains.
Going on my 500 wedge run of the mill 9 sec backet motor.
will send specs if needed...

...........Ur builder should be up on that.........there's lots of ppl using them.......i havent had the need yet, ...kim........

i like to hear about this myself ..as i am thinking of getting a pump for my motor...
451/400 base
eagle h beams
eagle 4340 crank
j e pistons (dome) about 14.1 comp
cam motion roller
t&d rockers 1.6
rbre mains
all studs head and main
-1 heads with 2.25 valve /1.81
400-2 intake
hope to get a 1050/1150 dominator on top with the 2" spacer

whats the specs of that 500 9 sec. motor...:happy2:

I have heard (from a reliable source) a vacuum pump worth about 30 horsepower on a Super Stock engine on a dyno. Is that worth it to you?

I saw a solid to tenths in the quarter. I dont know enough about them to give any advice but I can say that work. I have a three vane moroso pump with a vacuum breaker set at 11inches. It has been on my engine for the last 10 years.

Don't scavenge tubes do basically the same thing for a whole lot less money?

I removed a set of scavenge tubes for the vacuum pump and thats where I saw the 2 tenths...

You can see in the valve covers the vacuum breaker and inlet to the vacuum pump. The inlet valve cover has a piece of aluminum epoxied across the width and length of the valve cover just above the rockers to keep from sucking engine oil. I'm turning the pump 1 to 1.
DSC08823.jpg

-
Back