Valiant dash pad removal?

-

NWDave

Reaction score
So how is the dash pad on my 1971 Valiant held on? Is it screwed on from below, glued on? I need to replace it, thanks in advance!

Well, hope you dont mind a little work. Its not really bad but will take some effort. Yes, it is secured from the underside of the dash. The best way is to take most everything out of that dash to get to the seven screws. First job is to take off the battery cables!!

1, Take off the plastic cover at the base of the steering column and remove the steering column or just unbolt it from the dash and remove the three three nuts around the mounting flange on the floor board around the steering column and let it drop down for clearance. Myself I just take it off entirely.

2, Take out the speedo cluster,

3, Take out the ash tray assembly,

4, Take out the temp control and radio,

5, Take out the glovebox,

6, around the top inside of the dash you will find the wiring harness held in place by large metal tabs. These are bendable and just give them a gentle pull down and move the wiring harness for clearance.

Now you will be able to get to them bolts. There are (5) 3/8th nuts to get to. One in the center and the other (4) are spread out to each side of the dash and are all the way up where the dash frame angles to go back towards the windshield. In addition you will find a 9/32 nut on each side of the pad all the way at the bottom on each side of the dash to remove from the underside of the dash as well. Once this is done the pad may just fall off or require a a bit of tugging on each end to break any seal to the dash frame the pad sometimes gets. A great tip here is to replace all of the little lights on the back of the speedo cluster and if there is any issues with the defrost vents replace them now also. This stuff is much harder to get to when everything is back together but it can be done.
Lastly, have fun. It sounds like alot to do but its not that bad. Good luck!!
Chas.

-
Back