Valiant Drag Car ?'s

-

Slugger8985

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a plan for a 66 or 67 Valiant drag car. I'm trying to decide on what engine displacement I should go with. I would like to run Super Gas (money allowing), but would settle for something slower. Whatever the class, I would like to run in the low 10s to mid 9s. Should I stick with a sb that I can wind higher or should I go with a bb with more torque and hp?

if you use the 66 body go with a very large cubic inch smallblock because the body is too narrow and you have tocustome make headers for a bigblock. if the body is a 67 go with the largest bigblock you can afford. there are headers for this combo.

Its a 1966 100 so do you still think I should go sb? I would really like to run a 440 but like you said I would have to custom make headers, which really wouldn't be a problem because I have all the stuff needed to do that, it would just be another thing that would have to be done.

I run a 340 in my Valiant, the engine makes 400 hp, I have traction issues, the rear is basically stock 8 3/4, no tubs, drag radials. I would love to run that fast in a small block, it would also drive better than having a big block. How about building a 360 stroker? 360's are still pretty easy to get, you could be really differrent and build a killer 318 stroker!! How cool would taht be to beat a guy at the track running a 440 with your little 318!

Here is mine

Picture 659.jpg

Picture 282.jpg

Its a 1966 100 so do you still think I should go sb? I would really like to run a 440 but like you said I would have to custom make headers, which really wouldn't be a problem because I have all the stuff needed to do that, it would just be another thing that would have to be done.
go for it. i did the same thing to my 66 baracuda when i put a +.060 440 in it. i built fender well headers but with a little messing with the pipes you should be able to get some if not most of them inside the chassis. i used 2" pipe and 3 1/2" collectors.

So what about a 440? Do you think if I bored it over and had it stroked, with some polished and ported heads do you think I could run in the 9s?

By the way 66340SEDAN, like the car! I'll try and get pictures of mine up here. I got the fenders off and am working on getting the 225 out so it can get sand blasted. It was a pasture car but I was really surprised when I went to look at it that the subframe looks great and the factory paint was still almost mint. Not bad for sitting for over 20 years. I also found the original Certicard that was in the sleeve on the passenger side in the engine compartment. Also, I'm having troubles finding roll cages and rack and pinion units for it. Any suggestions?

go for it. i did the same thing to my 66 baracuda when i put a +.060 440 in it. i built fender well headers but with a little messing with the pipes you should be able to get some if not most of them inside the chassis. i used 2" pipe and 3 1/2" collectors.

Please post some photos.

I am working on putting a 383 in a buddy’s 65, I could use some ideas to save time and keep it clean looking. I went with a 416 stroker in mine but I am running a 4 gear and chassis headers were not an option with the 4 gear, even with the small block and small starter. Which is something to keep in mind when making your decision.

Sorry the only ones I have are the ones I took when I went to go look at it for the first time. I have some ones of it in progress now on my camera but haven't had a chance to get them on a computer yet. It looks rough but believe me the metal on the car is in ridiculously good shape for sitting outside for so long

5613_505552732799_168800070_30157507_5729356_s.jpg

-
Back