Valiant leaning to one side

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
So, I looked at the archives on this, but found that most people that had a car that was a leaner bought it that way. Our 71 valiant has always been lower in the back from I'm sure weak leaf springs. But now all of a sudden it's got this lean to the passenger side, even with a driver in the car going down the road. My son installed new shocks 6 months ago or more. We just noticed the lean a few days ago. He said he hit a brick on the road on that side that some fool put there or lost while hauling. He doesn't know if that has anything to do with it or not. Any thoughts? Before we just replace parts or adjust the torsion bars, would rather actually know why it just occurred. Lol, either that or my son is treating his car like a Duke boy would and not telling me.

Need to get under it and inspect the right front for damage from the brick. Could be a bent control arm or worse frame rail bent.

I did glance around under there, didn't see anything obvious other than the shock upper tube having a lean. I wonder if it could have blown the shock out. They are just the factory replacement style. I'll have to get it up in the air and measure stuff.

A bad shock won't cause the stance to change. Inspect the torsion bar cross member or where the bar goes into the lower control arm. For damage.

My dart had a lean that wouldn't go away, found some buggered lower control arm bushings. Ended up going with new upper and lower qa1's.

I will add the bushings to the check list for sure. That would seem to make sense if a harsh bounce or bump impact could tear or dislodge something. And if that shock is iffy replace that while at it. I'm hoping its not an a arm. Got one on our parts car, just don't want to have to swap it out. Lol.

Also inspect the lower control arm pivot shaft where it goes thru the K-member. They are known to crack and break there.

-
Back