Valiant Rear Window Gasket

-

Valiantsignet20

Reaction score
I know there are several of us here on FABO that have a second gen Valiant that needs a rear window seal. You can get one for a barracuda and dart all day long but none for the Valiant. In fact everyone I have called says that "We get a request for one at least once a week" ..... THEN WHY DON"T YOU MAKE ONE?!! Hell, even Laysons didn't have one (Wonder how the trunk of his looks in Washington?) and he owned several.

Anyway enough venting... I did get a brainstorm. I think If enough of us chime in and I could e-mail the response to a manufacture maybe they will make one. I may be pipe dreaming but I for one am tired of finding shelter or putting towels in the trunkwells every time I drive just in case it rains.

I know I need one, my car sits outside, found water in the trunk last week, I guess it's POR-15 for protection until someone starts making them

I definitely would be in on that. It's ridiculous that there isn't one available. They seem to exist for every make/model on the planet except the early Valiant.

Laysons has been telling me that for 7 years and they still haven't.

Franktiregod: Laysons does have the corner pieces. It is smooth not ribed. I first cut new lockstrip I got from JC whitney at a 45 until I found the smooth ones.

whats the difference in the corner pieces??? ive seen smooth like my b cuda ive also seen the finnned or ribbed looking corner pieces,,,

here is a vendor to try,,,he is very busy...so you may have to call several times,, restoration specialties 814 467 9842 he is in PA

MAYBE THEY CAN HELP WITH THAT GASKET

Is a 65-66 Dart the same as the Valiant?

I just got my floorpans from autobodyspecialties and their catalog show a rear gasket for a 65-66 Dart but their isnt any mention of the Valiant in the catalog.
Anyhow, if it is the same, they show it for 139.00

I Would Gues The Floor Is The Same If Both Are 2 Door Cars,, Maybe Weven With 4 Door Its The Same Plat Form,,,

There Is A N.o.s. 1963 Valiant Rear Window Gasket On This Form For Sale Under The For Sale Section

Is a 65-66 Dart the same as the Valiant?

I just got my floorpans form autobodyspecialties and their catalog show a rea gasket for a 65-66 Dart but their isnt any mention of the Valiant in the catalog.
Anyhow, if it is the same, they show it for 139.00

Their different, sorry to say.

I got lucky and my 65 Valiant rear gasket was reusable. I used lockstrip from a guy on ebay which I believe is GM style. I understand late model Dodge truck lockstrip will work, but I couldn't find the original ribbed style although my corners were still good. BUT, here's a suggestion. If you can get one out in one piece, check with Clester's in NC. They may be able to make one for you. I had a 54 International pick up years back. Sent Clester's the original rubber, and they made me new ones just like it. Just a thought....

I'm just chiming in on the subject. I have a used gasket and the corner pieces out of a 66 Valiant hanging on the wall of my shop. I am going to get in touch with Clesters and Metro to see about having one made. I will post any information I am able to aquire on this thread for any interested parties. Love those cars, I hope it works out that they will make them a production item. Now, a question. Are 64-66 Valiant all the same gasket? Anybody that knowsplease send along a message so i can include the info when I talk to Metro. Thanks, Geof

I could use one for my 64. I have two, one from a parts car and one still on mine. Doesn't look like the installed one was leaking but that could change after taking out and re-installing. The extra is available if someone has a line on getting these repopped.

Was looking at the Steele Rubber site & noticed they now list the rear window gasket. Must have been recent because it definitely wasn't there before. Haven't called them yet to verify.

I stand corrected by slantsixdan's comment below, so you probably want to ignore the following:

When I restored my '62 Valiant V-200, I found that nobody in the U.S. had made a complete body rubber, window channel, etc. set for the car in years. But the body gasket set was still being produced in Australia because the early-early-A body cars are still popular there. I believe that the same rationale would apply to later cars, and that you can obtain body gaskets for Valiants and Darts in Australia that you can't find in the U.S. If you need me to look up the name of the Australian company from which I bought my body rubber, let me know.

Interchange on that backglass seal is '63-'65 Valiant; see discussion here and here. Steele Rubber did decide to reproduce it. It's available for purchase, right up on their website.

The backglass gasket in question was not used in Australia. Their '63-'65 Valiants have a totally different backglass, roofline, and gasket.

'66 Valiant owners are still outta luck on new backglass gaskets as far as I know.

Hey Dan, was the '63-'65 Valiant body ever manufactured and sold in South Africa?

Yup, the US-body '63-'65 Valiants were sold in South Africa, but there is essentially zero reproduction parts industry for Valiants there. They order their stuff over from North America and Australia.

Was looking at the Steele Rubber site & noticed they now list the rear window gasket. Must have been recent because it definitely wasn't there before. Haven't called them yet to verify.

Thanks for the heads up, Im going to try and order one.

Interchange on that backglass seal is '63-'65 Valiant; see discussion here and here. Steele Rubber did decide to reproduce it. It's available for purchase, right up on their website.

The backglass gasket in question was not used in Australia. Their '63-'65 Valiants have a totally different backglass, roofline, and gasket.

'66 Valiant owners are still outta luck on new backglass gaskets as far as I know.

Thanks for the heads up, Im going to try and order one.

I have been working with Steel rubber on a rear window gasket for my 63 Dart. They are still working on the Dart, but they did do the Valiant. They sent me one thinking it was the same on the Dart. So I have a brand new one for a Valiant that I would sell if anyone is interested.

-
Back