Valiant warming up at slow speeds and idle

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

Got the carb issues all squared away with my '71 Plymouth, and been driving it and enjoying.

I'm starting to have a slow speed cooling issue which I know the cause of. I just need to solicit some curative ideas.

At cruise speeds (65-70mph, and beyond:smile:) it's fine, runs about 185 or so. Once I start slowing down and have to drive slower in town and stop and go, it's up nearly over halfway on the factory gauge. It hasn't boiled but there's no need for it to run that warm.

Back on the road cruise speeds brings it back down, but obviously there's not enough air flow at low speeds.

I have a new 22" radiator, hoses, 180 stat and new stock water pump. I am running the 5 blade fixed fan, and no shroud. I have a shroud that I can make work, but right now it's not in the budget to shell out $150 for one of those scarce correct shrouds or the repro version.

1. Will a 5 or 7 blade clutch fan move that much more air when it's needed? I don't care about the noise thing or appearances, just a cool engine.

2. If so, what's needed to convert from the fixed fan with bolts to the clutch fan with studs and nuts besides the obvious?

3. Am I running the right water pump pulley? I had a hard time finding any single-groove water pump pulleys and I think this one came off a large truck. It looks almost as large as the crank pulley, and seems like a smaller wp pulley would speed up the pump and fan.

Thank you for any insight.

Attachments

• S3010064.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 121
Yup, I just noticed the post and was getting ready to suggest that until I scrolled down. Good deal.

-
Back