Value of '71 Duster 340 Basketcase

-

DusterRT

Reaction score
I've had this project for a long time. I went to school and wound up moving across the country for a job. I'd really like to save it myself but I just can't from 2200 miles away and I can't really afford to pay for anyone else to do it (what sounded like a great entry level wage was killed by the west coast cost of living, lol). I've already spent several thousands of dollars merely storing it through school and at this point in the adventure I am thinking about just cutting my losses, admitting failure and learning from my mistakes. I knew pretty much nothing about cars when I got it and minor repairs snowballed into a complete disassembly. Then I lost my garage..and then I went off to college, and then I moved from central Illinois to Seattle. Crap!!

Obviously parting this car out would get me much more money, but I am looking for a rough idea of the current market value of this would be. I'd feel a lot better if I knew it was going to be restored rather than someone else just buying and parting it.

Thanks for any input. I know I'll probably regret selling it if I do, but I'm just trying to size up what my financial loss would be at this point..

The Good:
- Real '71 Duster 340
- #'s matching engine and transmission
- Engine machined and ready for assembly, just add cam/lifters/chain and knick-knacks
- 3.91 Sure Grip diff (not original, was 3.23 open)
- Very solid Sharktooth grille
- All original sheetmetal
- ~60% original paint, driver's side and tail panel were repainted in the early '80s
- Pretty solid for a midwest car
- Tawny Gold with white top, and side/tail panel stripes, gold bench interior, chrome sport mirrors

The Bad:
- Rust..nothing horrible but will need quarters, trunk/extensions, an inner fender and some other patches (worst quarter pictured below, other side *much* better!)
- I sold the bumpers, rally gauges, front suspension and exhaust manifolds for books one semester :tard:
- Car is 90% disassembled
- Also needs most of the stainless trim, front/back glass, front seat and other misc stuff, may want a parts car?

Misc:
- Have buildsheet
- Originally had a "Rim Blow" steering wheel but it was MIA when I bought the car
- Most 4-speed conversion parts
- Scattershield
- Rebuilt OD A833, needs a thread repair in the trans mount and a bearing retainer seal
- Car has damage in roof..from an assembly line goof. Found a return to line form in the headliner! Dent was pulled out crudely and filled with bondo, this was found under the factory vinyl top
- Chassis is movable, I have castors bolted where the K-frame was (see pics)
- That crank pictured laying on the floor is left over from a 2.0 build, the 340 was well greased and bagged for storage (totally disassembled, crank stored vertically, etc)
- Engine bored .030" over, built for ~9.5:1 compression with forged TRW pistons, rods reconditioned and had the beams smoothed, J heads rebuilt with minor porting, align honed, decked, main and head studs, factory intake and the original '71 Thermoquad with a "Strip Kit" (rods and jets)

DSCN1032-1.jpg

DSC00363.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

DSCN1038-1.jpg

Only good picture from the day it was brought home..stupid camera malfunction! Back in the day before digitals were common..

duster005-4.jpg

Cool car. Its the Duster version of my Scamp. I would say its worth anyweres from $1000-$2500 depending on how bad someone wants its.

Well,you could call me a sucker but I paid $3k for a rolling 71 duster 340 4 speed shell,it had some stuff but believe me it needed alot.I bought it because of it being the only year for a rally dash and sharktooth grille plus a factory low option/built for speed car,manual everything,340,3.91,4 speed and it was factory autumn bronze with black interior.I would say you should be able to get that much or possibly more out of yours simply beacause its worth restoring since its complete and numbers matching.I think I would wait until winter to sell,the market seems soft this time of year to me-it is a cool car though.

Sum of the parts is great for your car, as a complete package, not so good, IMHO. The max I'd pay for a car like yours would be 2K.

The parts are definitely worth twice that amount

It's a tough decision to make, however, basket cars don't get top dollar unless they are E-body hemi verts.

Reality on this really sucks sometimes. You could always E-bay it and see where it goes.

I think the car and all the parts may bring pretty a good amount on E-Bay... It would be a good project for sure... Heck anyone who bought it would disassemble it to restore it, you just saved them some time.... But if it was my car and I could not get anymore than $2000 for it I would keep it... Just my $0.02...

-
Back