Value of the MSD

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 74 Duster is going through some changes to increase power, improve 1/4 mile performance and over all fun factor. I am building an approximately 400hp 360 Magnum to replace the tired 318. It has an A500 transmission and a 4.30 gear. It cruises the highway at 2600 rpm doing 65mph.
I am looking to add an MSD Digital 6 Plus ignition because I have it, I've never tried one and it will give me the ability to mess around with Nitrous if I want to.
Now for my question, is there a benefit to using an MSD distributor or can I stick with my stock distributor and retain my vacuum advance for the highway. Below is the MSD distributor I have.

Cley

Check out this page from Summit Racing DODGE MSD Ignition 8534 MSD Billet Distributors | Summit Racing

My 74 Duster is going through some changes to increase power, improve 1/4 mile performance and over all fun factor. I am building an approximately 400hp 360 Magnum to replace the tired 318. It has an A500 transmission and a 4.30 gear. It cruises the highway at 2600 rpm doing 65mph.
I am looking to add an MSD Digital 6 Plus ignition because I have it, I've never tried one and it will give me the ability to mess around with Nitrous if I want to.
Now for my question, is there a benefit to using an MSD distributor or can I stick with my stock distributor and retain my vacuum advance for the highway. Below is the MSD distributor I have.

Cley

Check out this page from Summit Racing DODGE MSD Ignition 8534 MSD Billet Distributors | Summit Racing
The biggest benefit of the MSD Distributors is the ability to easily change the advance springs. The MSD distributor I had on my 408 stroker had a vacuum advance, but it was not adjustable. The OE style VA unit can be adjusted with a 3/32 allen wrench, but the advance springs require you pulling the distributor and taking it apart. If you want to really tune your engine, I would definitely use the MSD over the OE. Since you will be driving on the street, I would use an MSD distributor with a VA can, which yours does not have.

Use whatever distributor has vacuum advance, although now that I typed that if you get a Programmable 6 box you can control the timing from that box so you wouldn’t need a VA.

So my answer is buy the programmable 6 box and use the MSD distributor. IIRC you lock it out and set up the curve in a table.

Thats what I would do, especially since you don’t sound like you have a distributor machine to actually make getting the curve in shape way easier.

Probably even better if you can get the engine on a dyno so you can load the engine and figure out what your engine really wants for a curve.

I totally agree with @Ricks70Duster340 about the ease of changing the advance springs. I have a 69 4 speed Barracuda with a 340 modified to about 375HP. About 5 years ago I bought an entire MS setup (6 Box, distributor, plug wires and coil). The difference was noticeable. Starts up way faster/easier, idles better and the throttle response is better.
Here is my $0.02 on why you buy the entire kit and not just the box:
Let's say you buy tires from one place and have the front end aligned somewhere else (I saw this all the time when I worked at Western Auto. Then, let's say, the guy comes back a month later complaining about uneven tire wear on the front. You tell him the front end is out, and the alignment place says it's bad tires. See where I'm going??? I always buy the whole kit from one place. That way I know that 1) All parts will work well together, and 2) There won't be any he said she said if there is a problem.

Since I am using parts I already have, I'll use the stock distributor with the 6 plus box I have then. Thanks for the input!

Cley

Mancini sales harness to go from Oem distributor to Msd box !!!

Screenshot_20230901-190852.png

-
Back