Valve Bodies

-

71Duster

Reaction score
I have a transgo shift kit in a good valvebody that was in my old 904. I currently have my 727 apart. I've been told the two valve bodies are the same so the cheap idea is to swap the shift kited valve body into the 27 are they interchangeable?

Bonous! I know I save old parts and things I find for a reason other then cluttering up the shed!

The only issue you may run into is if the 727 valve body still has it's original separator plate. Most of the Trans Go kits I've seen utilize the stock plate. In this case look at the rear most set of bolt holes for bolting the valve body to the case. The middle hole needs to have an elongated slot instead of just a round hole in order to swap them between 904 and 727. It's an easy mod if it isn't.

Most of them already have the enlongated hole, but if yours don't, get out the file - you know what to do.... Or... just put a manual valve body in and be done with it. I know alot of people believe that garbage about "not for street use" but I've been running them on the street for over 20 years and haven't had any problems. ALL of the automatics in my cars have been manual - wouldn't have it any other way. :evil4:

how about manual valvebodies on the street shifting on the column for everyday driving is it a pain in the a$$ or what? I'm going to do this to my 360 400 horses

mopowermatt said:
how about manual valvebodies on the street shifting on the column for everyday driving is it a pain in the a$$ or what? I'm going to do this to my 360 400 horses

YES...it would be a pain in the *** column shifting a manual. I'm sure there are those out there that do it, but I would not....

Its a pain but I did it for 2 years. T/A reverse patern valve body on the colum.

I use a Griner rev pat manual valve body on the street no problems.

You must be careful with down shifts.
Never shift down to 1st if you are rolling over 5 mph never.

instead of starting a new post, ill ask here because its similar. pretty much, what exactly does a automatic/manual valve body do? I read that it alows you to shift the car manually or as an automatic if its in D, but i can already do that just by shifting the gears myself. am i doing harm to the tranny by doing this?

BadAssDodge said:
instead of starting a new post, ill ask here because its similar. pretty much, what exactly does a automatic/manual valve body do? I read that it alows you to shift the car manually or as an automatic if its in D, but i can already do that just by shifting the gears myself. am i doing harm to the tranny by doing this?

I want to give this a bump cause I would be interested to know!

A automatic valve body is what it says it shifts your gears automatically from the D position. Your automatic car come from the factory with an automatic valve body. You can also shift it manualy 1st 2nd 3rd without any problem.
You cannot damage your trans doing this unless of course you over rev and then more than likely you would harm your motor.

A manual valve body is also just that. There is no drive you must start out in 1st manually shift to 2nd and then 3rd and they are more solid more positive shifts even more so than a shift kit. Down shifting however gets tricky. You just can't down shift you get that rear end bang. You have to kind of feather it like softly revving a four speed as you down shift to avoid that rear end clunk. Which is no good for your trans, drive shaft, or rear.

Blackace if your comming down Saturday I will show you first hand if we have time!!!:toothy7:

I have a reverse pattern manual valve body in my 727 and want to remove it. How difficult is it? Is it just removing the valve body and that's it?

-
Back