Valve Cover Oil Leaks

-

BRog

Reaction score
I've been using chrome valve covers with cork gaskets and having a lot of problems with oil leaks. Can anyone recommend a cost-effective solution? Summit & Jegs sells a mopar performance gasket (ribbed rubber with steel core), but they are $60. Seems expensive and wondering if there is a better option.

Thanks

The trick is to glue the cork gasket to the valve cover.
This is usually where the gasket leaks.
Before you start take a ball peen hammer, and tap the bolt holes back out from the bottom.
You want a smooth, flat, clean surface.

I use Edelbrock gasgacinch.
Put glue around the valve cover mounting surface, and the one side of the gasket.
Let them tack up for a few minutes, and place the gasket on the vc.
Use your fingers to press the gasket and vc together, going several times around the gasket.
After the gasket is on, you can lay the vc on a bench, and put a small weight on top, and let it dry.
Now you have a gasket perfectly sealed to the vc.
After that put it on the motor dry. Torque down to the proper spec and order.

Done.
:)

Awesome. This is super helpful, thanks.

If I were to use the ribbed rubber gaskets, do they require the same process (sealing to vc)? Or would you just put them on dry - both sides?

Awesome. This is super helpful, thanks.

If I were to use the ribbed rubber gaskets, do they require the same process (sealing to vc)? Or would you just put them on dry - both sides?

Good question.
Ive had a set of those on the wall for years (Mopar Performance), that im finally going to try.
Im under the impression that you put those on dry. Racers use them to pop the VC on and off.
So, we will see.

Save your self some cash, and use the Felpro cork gasket with the advice I gave you.
You should be good. PS: Dont over torque them. Follow the factory torque/sequence.

The trick is to glue the cork gasket to the valve cover.
This is usually where the gasket leaks.
Before you start take a ball peen hammer, and tap the bolt holes back out from the bottom.
You want a smooth, flat, clean surface.

I use Edelbrock gasgacinch.
Put glue around the valve cover mounting surface, and the one side of the gasket.
Let them tack up for a few minutes, and place the gasket on the vc.
Use your fingers to press the gasket and vc together, going several times around the gasket.
After the gasket is on, you can lay the vc on a bench, and put a small weight on top, and let it dry.
Now you have a gasket perfectly sealed to the vc.
After that put it on the motor dry. Torque down to the proper spec and order.

Done.
:)

This is exactly how I do it. The only extra step I take, is a light film of grease around the head side of the gasket once it sealed to the VC. This will allow you to remove the cover without tearing the cork.

One other thing to check, is the VC fitment. If you are running an aftermarket intake, they could be hitting the intake and not allowing them to seat properly.

To check this, put the cover on the head without the gasket, if it does not sit down on the head see where it's hitting, slowly grind those spots down until it sits nice and tight on the head.

Proceed with JD's instructions.

Wow! 60 dollars! I bought a set for 12 dollars back in the late 80's. They are on my oldest boy's valiant now. I have used the same set on at least 4 motors. I guess I got my moneys worth.

I personally use the rubber Felpro gaskets with the metal inserts ans crush sleeves. I don't use any thing else to help seal but I did switch to studs for fasteners rather than bolts. Much better setup and easier on the aluminum threads.

make sure there is no clearance problems on the intake manifold and valve cover it's self. that will cause a leak.

-
Back