valve cover rust

-

rigger3006

Reaction score
my demons been down for 2 months, buttoning it back up today and discovered a bunch of fresh rust inside of valve cover and on rocker shaft bolts. i have chrome DC vave covers. is this common, im thinking condensation somehow, anybody have an idea on how to prevent this?

What do you want us to say???

I have no comment to help you, sorry....

In high humity areas you can try to run a fan(s) to keep air moving 24/7. Keep the hood up.Run the engine long enough to reach operating tempeture to burn off the moisture inside the engine. Place desicant bags in(near) the engine compartment.Desicant lasts for several weeks then place them in a oven to remove the moisture from them. They can be used over and over again.Some guys(in extreem cases) remove the valve covers after every use cleaning out the moisture, reoiling the rockers and place oily rags over the rockers leaving the covers off till next use.

What do you want us to say???

I have no comment to help you, sorry....

Gracious as always k/k,...

rigger3006,
Post a before and after vid of a blue rag/ red rag wipedown on the covers & rockers...

My aluminum covers condensate like crazy , I actually changed my intake gasket because of streaks in cold oil made me think my intake was leaking ,added pcv and it helps clean it out quicker so it doesn't build up from multiple short hops that don't put enough heat for long enough to cook it all out , I bought a small water/oil seperator I am going to try in between the pcv and the carb base to maybe keep from having it coat the plugs .price we pay for living in the arboreal rain forest bud .

now thats more like it! i was starting to think maybe i asked a stupid question! i was thinking of the dessicant bags also darter6. the HAMB guys talked about using glyptal to paint inside of covers . and cannucky u nailed it i think, the last 2 months up here weve gone from sunburn weather to snow in a week! frost every morning and sunny all day

Condensation most likely, like mentioned. That is also a tell tale sign If your head gasket/gaskets are leaking. or a crack to the water jacket. will have moisture soon after running from water in the oil. I Built an engine for a guy twice. he didn't use the correct torque sequence on the heads and they leaked after a while... that was in a dry, summer climate. probably not your issue, but a possibility, C300

-
Back