valve lash chart wtf

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
tooling around the car today thought i would do the yearly valve lash adj and i found this chart http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=137222&highlight=valve+lash+chart set my engine to tdc 1 compression stroke rotor at no 1 and the chart says to set 2 in 8 ex well no 2 intake is open and no 8 closed ike it should be .turn the engine 360deg and for fun and check and no2 in was shut and #8 ex is open wtf am i missing sumtin here. the engine is a 416 r3 eddy heads indy roller rockers cam motion solid flat tapped cam.

You're doin' somethin wrong or you have a cam with different firing order (AKA Ferd 289/302/ versus 351W)

That chart has been around for awhile. But I don't even USE the chart, as it's only good for V8's and for V8's with the "common" firing order

I use EOIC, which works on ANY four stroke poppet valve engine, regardless of no of cylinders or firing order.

EOIC means

Rotate the engine until...........

the EXHAUST just begins to OPEN, and adjust the intake for that cylinder.

the rotate the engine until...............

the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED and adjust the exhaust for that cylinder.

You can do this several ways. I generally do one head at a time, front to rear, as it's just the easiest for me.

You're doin' somethin wrong or you have a cam with different firing order (AKA Ferd 289/302/ versus 351W)

That chart has been around for awhile. But I don't even USE the chart, as it's only good for V8's and for V8's with the "common" firing order

I use EOIC, which works on ANY four stroke poppet valve engine, regardless of no of cylinders or firing order.

EOIC means

Rotate the engine until...........

the EXHAUST just begins to OPEN, and adjust the intake for that cylinder.

the rotate the engine until...............

the INTAKE has opened and is nearly CLOSED and adjust the exhaust for that cylinder.

You can do this several ways. I generally do one head at a time, front to rear, as it's just the easiest for me.
i hear what your sayin this is how i always set them this time i thought i would give this chart a try .if you were at tdc #1 compression stroke both valves would be shut and be able to be adjusted acording to cummings but a 4 stroke is a 4 stroke gas or diesel

Aw, co'mon, man, what'ja do wrong, LOL?
ok i feel stupid for being a marine diesel mech and a 20 year mopar nut turner it hurts to tell this but i got #2 cyl mixed up with#4 been workng on 6cyl cummings for to long was looking at the second one back on drivers side hence #2 like #2 on an inline 6 every now and then i do sumtin that stupid i even suprize myself

ok i feel stupid for being a marine diesel mech and a 20 year mopar nut turner it hurts to tell this but i got #2 cyl mixed up with#4 been workng on 6cyl cummings for to long was looking at the second one back on drivers side hence #2 like #2 on an inline 6 every now and then i do sumtin that stupid i even suprize myself

It's OK, we all do it, especially when you get older.

Did you have one of these moments??? :banghead:

Have you worked on any old tripple nickels or 903 marine engines???

Have you worked on any old tripple nickels or 903 marine engines???
mostly b and c series and a few m11s 3208 and 4306 cats and 71 and 92 series detroits.the detroits are my favorites very seldom anything goes wrong with them with good up keep but like all the great engines they are getting outdated now.now all the new marine diesels are computer controlled.we will see how computers and salt water and air fair out after 10 years or so.

i ment pass side

S' OK, a few years ago I was helpin' a friend fire up a new built Ferd 351, and it took me a "few seconds" to figure out which was no1. IHC used to time off no8. No wonder we're confused!!!!

Hell, some of the marine stuff drives off the "front" of the engine. When I sold parts, we tried to order a "rear seal" for some weird old marine install, finally told the guy to do some research---"you sure you are talking about the REAR of the engine? Turned out, "nope."

We all have been guilty of the OH **** syndrome. I helped a guy replace his starter on a 351 Ford ski Natique, went to the parts store ordered a ford starter like the one we took off and the damn thing wouldn't start. Then i learned about the the motor needing a reverse rotation starter!

S' OK, a few years ago I was helpin' a friend fire up a new built Ferd 351, and it took me a "few seconds" to figure out which was no1. IHC used to time off no8. No wonder we're confused!!!!

Hell, some of the marine stuff drives off the "front" of the engine. When I sold parts, we tried to order a "rear seal" for some weird old marine install, finally told the guy to do some research---"you sure you are talking about the REAR of the engine? Turned out, "nope."

We all have been guilty of the OH **** syndrome. I helped a guy replace his starter on a 351 Ford ski Natique, went to the parts store ordered a ford starter like the one we took off and the damn thing wouldn't start. Then i learned about the the motor needing a reverse rotation starter!
thanks guys i set the valves. 3 or 4 were a little tight but all is good now.but i am still embarrased lol.

-
Back