valve noise ?

-

midlife89

Reaction score
I'm getting a tick from the pass side rockers for about 5 secs after I start the car after I let it sit for more than 2 hrs.If I crank it for 5 secs or so before I tap the gas to start it,it doesn't do it.I noticed that when I swapped out the cam that the cam bearing oiling holes were not lined up,less or around 25%covered.Was told when I had it apart not to worry about it. I thought I had a bad lifter but it's doing it with new lifters too.Rocker shafts are installed right,made sure oiling holes clear.I did replce the rocker shaft bolts with reg grade 8 bolt after snapping one after readind wrong torque spec in manual.Is there anything special about those bolts?Good oil pressure,not high not low.Trying to figure out some options to fix this.Thought about pulling the cam n running long drill bit thru passages,if so what size and should I try n chamfer hole inside cam bearing so no sharp edges?Could I run hollow push rods and drill small holes in rocker where pushrod seats to get more oil up there?Don' think any of the rockers are bad because it didn't do it before rebuild.The block wasn't decked and heads just trued up.Any suggestions?Hate to go thru alot of work just to end up with same problem.Only one or possibly 2 are making noise the driver side makes no noise at all,if it was the cam bearings causing it wouldn't it bemaking noise too?

I agree with snake, lifters probably bleeding down. If you wanna chk passages dont use a drill bit...I would maybe try a wooden shiskabob skewer??

.i get a 5 second click occasionally on start up,if the right lobe ends up on the base circle when i shut it down.
i have spun my engine to 6000 lots and all seems well.

That's totally normal for hydraulic lifters, and the only way to get away from it is to swap to solid ajustable lifters, or solid roller lifters.

I'll just throw this out there for what it's worth. I used to get cold start-up valve train noise on my minivan with 3.3 and I think IIRC on a previous 318. Then I saw an oilfilter comparison on the EEK site. There was an article by just a regular guy like me who cut different oil filters apart, compared the internals, and concluded the Fram had a problem with the anti-drainback valve or something to that effect. I'd been using orange Frams exclusively on all my vehicles because S&M had the sticker on their fender. Well I bought a standard Purolator and tried it. Instant fix, no more noise on start up so that's all I've used for the last 10 years or so. IIRC he said Wix was good too but the Purolators are easier for me to get from Advance Auto Parts. Might be worth a try.

i used to get a good tick then it would go away, until one day it never stopped. pulled the intake , new set of lifters , completely went away and has not returned in over a year.

Thanks guys,I'm just going to pull that valve cover and double check the rockers,if all looks good I'm going to let it go,and move on to other projects I want to do this winter.

-
Back