Valve oiling, how much should there be???????

-

Reaction score
OK,
I took my valve cover off my new engine the other day and ran it. Boy there is not much oil up there. I have great oil pressure. But there is not much coming out of the little bleeder holes on the rockers. I have 273 adjustable rockers, on new shafts. As it runs you just get an occasional dribble. Granted the oil is more or less cold, and 20-50 is in it right now. Is this normal? Of all the mopars I have had I have never run one with the valve cover off. As I have never had one with adjustable rockers. I am more accustom to chevys, that fling oil every were!

Oh,
And my rockers are on new shafts. But I did cut nice groves across the holes like the original ones.

Is this about normal? I just want to make sure it is adequate before some thing gets hurt. Thanks!

20-50 is a little thick, and when cold it doesn't flow too well through small holes. When the oil is hot it should flow a little better to the top end. I suggest 10w-30, just my 2c.

Yea,
I plan on switching to 10-30. 20-50 was all I could find locally in a racing oil (oil for flat tappet cams)

I was thinking about putting the rocker shafts in my friends metal lath and putting groves all the way around them to help the oil get up to the holes in the top. Any one ever do this?

Thanks!!!!

If the engine was rebuilt there's a possibility the holes in the cam bearings are not lined up perfectly... I find that's kind of common now-a-days and I will take steps to help that. But the rockers only get oil for a few degrees during each cam rotation, so I'd say it's probably just fine if you can see it push out when it's turning with the starter.

Na,
The holes are lined up. I found that out! I primed the pump with out the rocker shafts on! Oil flew across the garage. LOL

I just ordered some Brad Penn 10-30 to put in it.

lol... I've done that myself...
I'd still say you're fine regardless of the oil.

Not sure how they could be on wrong. Holes down. These are aftermarket CAT shafts that have the holes in the center of the bottom, so the side dose not matter. Both are identical. Oil is filling the shafts just fine. Just seems to be very little coming out the holes in the tops of the rockers. Like I said it my be normal, I just have never run a mopar with the valve covers off before. Well I did a slant 6 once. Never saw any oil threw the black stuff. LOL Last I herd it was still running 15 years later!

Just put on a new set of Hughes Engines grooved rocker shafts. And boy are they nice!! Not cheep but worth every penny. Oiling is improved. And the quality is great. For any one wanting new shafts for 273 or 340 adjustable rockers I recommend them!

-
Back