Valve seat stones sizes?

-

gzig5

Reaction score
Are these valve seat stones sufficient to do 2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves on J-heads? I've never used a seat grinder but am thinking about getting one to play with and this is the assortment of stones it comes with.
00y0y_7hdarMGjGvpz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

I was just down at the shop and my son was using one. He is constantly redressing them on a dresser. If you get a seat grinder

Prices of his system are
Qwik-way is what they still sell as a kit, Grinder, Dresser, 12 pilots , 2 stone holders, 20 stones $4000.00 And that's the cheap dresser.

One stone is. $15 each new depending on the stone.. The pilots are what is expensive Pilots are $60 ea. That is qwik-way or Goodson

heavy duty dresser is. $1300

You need 2.125 or 2.25 x 45* at least. Just get the seats to clean up, no more, for 2.02 valves. Then top dress them with a 15* stone to get the seat to the right diameter. Then bottom dress with a 70*, or 60* stone to narrow the seat to what you want. The pilot should be vertical, so gravity has no influence on the cut. Make sure the stone holder has almost no play on the pilot. Sioux is a very good seat grinder. Use a vernier caliper when grinding valves, the fine dust will not throw them off. Check seat by lapping one valve to verify diameter and width. I dress the stones after 4 seats.

Good info, thanks. I'm looking at a old Sioux setup. It is dated but looks pretty complete as far as the tooling, dresser, and pilots but I need to see it first. I figured I might need to purchase a couple of stones. I'm not doing it commercially so a $4000+ machine is out.

Good info, thanks. I'm looking at a old Sioux setup. It is dated but looks pretty complete as far as the tooling, dresser, and pilots but I need to see it first. I figured I might need to purchase a couple of stones. I'm not doing it commercially so a $4000+ machine is out.
That is what my son uses Sioux . He has two of them and Dressers. The kwik-way are what is listed for sale new. Sioux are old school and hard to find. His works great.

Just to close the loop (and gloat a little), I picked up the Sioux Valve and Seat grinder setup I found on CL locally. It is in excellent mechanical condition. The seller said the original owner disassembled and cleaned it after every job and after he got it, it was used in 1992 for rebuilding a Kohler generator engine and has been sitting since. Comes with a few nice accessories that still have the cosmoline on them as well as a good bunch of stones and arbors. I'm hoping the rocker arm attachment will work on 273 style rockers but if not, it's still a cool piece of kit. Maybe I can sell or trade some of the extra stones on some larger ones for intake valve seats. Oh yeah, I paid $250 for the entire setup.

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

-
Back