Valve spring info?

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Anyone know the bind height of the springs off a set of small block ford aluminum heads?

I have no info on these other than what was told to me buy the guy that threw them in on a deal a few years ago. He said they were taken off a new set of heads and replaced with stronger ones. They are 2.253" tall with an out side diameter of 1.460"

The pic is the mystery spring next to a stock slant six spring.

Attachments

• Photo0385.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 103
Scamp,

Put 'em in a vise and screw it down until it binds (but not too tight, just until the coils touch), then measure it with a venier caliper. Generally you want .080" before it binds and that's max lift at the valve.

So I put it in a vice and the bind height was around 1.25oo" - 1.30oo" there was still a little bit between the coils but I was playing it safe. The installed height in a slant head is 1.620" uninstalled is 2.24oo"

The cam (225 slant)....

Duration INT/EXH = 254

Valve lift = .435

Valve lash = .012

They said the lash should be .012 but it runs better (and quieter) at .008

I was getting lifter noise and it would start to float around 3200 rpm so iI put in a set of dual springs off another slant and it quieted it down a little and runs way better now. The floating is pretty much gone up to around 4000 rpm now but I am limited by the 3 speed and 3.55 (OD 4 speed is on the way in).

I want to throw these springs in and see if it quiets down and will run even better or do you think they are too much for the cam?

Attachments

• Photo0397.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo0400.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 78
So I put it in a vice and the bind height was around 1.25oo" - 1.30oo" there was still a little bit between the coils but I was playing it safe. The installed height in a slant head is 1.620" uninstalled is 2.24oo"

The cam (225 slant)....

Duration INT/EXH = 254

Valve lift = .435

Valve lash = .012

They said the lash should be .012 but it runs better (and quieter) at .008

I was getting lifter noise and it would start to float around 3200 rpm so iI put in a set of dual springs off another slant and it quieted it down a little and runs way better now. The floating is pretty much gone up to around 4000 rpm now but I am limited by the 3 speed and 3.55 (OD 4 speed is on the way in).

I want to throw these springs in and see if it quiets down and will run even better or do you think they are too much for the cam?

JR, you'll run into spring bind if you install those springs 1.620. Let's take your lift at the valve of .435 and subtract it from 1.625, your lowest number. That leaves 1.19. That will be the spring height at full lift. I don't like to reduce the lift by the valve clearance spec as that can close up fast when hot and is an "x factor" (unknown factor).

Will springs from a 4.0 HO Jeep or Magnum engine fit? Check your inside and outside diameter of the springs. IIRC, the installed height of the two above springs is in your present requirements or a bit lower so you can always shim them. Let me know if you need shims for these springs.

You better catch the guy who is knocking up your 4 wives and nut him!
Shooting in the desert sounds like a good time.

-
Back