Valve Spring Keeper Replacement

-

jeeper

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am putting my 440 together for my project Dart. It is a very low-buck engine that is basically a cam/springs/intake engine with some mild head clean-up.

The cam is a Hughes Grind with 223/230 at .050 or so.

Should I replace the valve spring keepers when I have the heads apart as a preventative measure? It is a low-buck deal, but not that much if it would help.

I'm not really into dropping a valve. The engine will likely not see too far over 5K, maybe 5500.

Thanks, ROB

I hope you're not thinking about usint the original springs! If it was mine, I'd bite the bullet and replace the springs, locks AND retainers. It'll let you sleep better at night.

don

I've had a bunch of engines runnign stock valve, locks, and retainers (used stuff). It's a mild cam, and I'm sure the springs are too. I wouldnt sweat them, unless there is an alignment or fitment problem.

Good morning,

The springs are new, cam and lifters are new. Retainers are not and keepers are not.

I bought them as a package off of the net from a guy on BBD. New, but sitting on the shelf stuff.

Thank you, ROB

if you want to get technical, you should always use new keepers on new valves, like i stated, or if using old valves, the keepers should remain with the valve they were on, as they make a wear/mating pattern and changing this can theoretically cause cracking/breakage etc.

-
Back