Valve spring options

-
If you can move the springs laterally in the spring pocket, you have the wrong diameter springs. With too tall a spring installed height, those springs are crying for locators/shims. Springs inners rattling against the outers while moving around in the pocket could be your noise.
It looks like the valve is moving

UPSATE. Measured install height. 1.75. Lunati wanted 1.700. During all this. I grabbed a hold of the springs to if any movement. Some I could move lateraly. Some I could not. Not sure if this ia normal or not. I would think not. Might have a valve issue. Any thoughts on this would be great

One thing to be sure of ...is did you machine the heads so that the inner spring sits flush with the outer? It's not up on the guide and coil binding the inner, right?
If it's set up right 'with exception of the wrong installed height' just get some vsi's @.060 that fit the od of the guide boss and spring od and just set them up @1.690

Last edited:
One thing is a did you machine the heads so that the inner spring sits flush with the outer? It's not up on the guide and coil binding the inner, right?
If it's set up right, minus the wrong installed height...Get some vsi's @.060 that fit the od of the guide boss and spring od and just set them up @1.690
What is a vsi?

What is a vsi?
Valve spring insert/shims.
You can do these things a couple ways you can locate the inner spring to the guide by cutting or of guide to the diameter of the inner spring which most brands are made to Universal diameter of say .780 or .630 something like that.. and that in turn can locate the outer. Or you can use a a spring that fits inside the spring pocket of the head Or cut pocket to the size of the spring you're going to use.
Whichever way you do you don't want to not locate the inner spring and outer spring and have them able to scoot around.

-
Back