valve spring removal

-

ap6street

Reaction score
changing valve springs and rockers on indy360-1 head , indy to t&d rockers.
what would everyone reccomend as best tool to remove the valve springs with heads on motor ??

Ive used the OTC tool that cranks down on the spring with no issues

I’m sure you know about compressed air into the spark plug hole to hold the valve up.

changing valve springs and rockers on indy360-1 head , indy to t&d rockers.
what would everyone reccomend as best tool to remove the valve springs with heads on motor ??

When changing springs and such in the car I like this compressor from Advance Auto, or Napa.
I start the piston I am changing the springs on up towards TDC and then feed about 24 inches of 1/4 nylon rope into the cylinder through the plug hole.
Then bring the piston on up until it stops against the rope.
This holds the valves up without blowing all the lube out of your rings and piston.

Using a compressor like this and the rope you don't have to mess with the air.

(I like to lay a piece of old sheet or something like that around the valve I am working on to catch locks from possibly escaping down into the block.) :D

vsc.jpg

I have both types of compressors, the trouble with the 1st one, it might not compress enough with thicker springs and higher spring pressures. I try to use the second one, and modify the mount if necessary. I have used both with success already

When changing springs and such in the car I like this compressor from Advance Auto, or Napa.
I start the piston I am changing the springs on up towards TDC and then feed about 24 inches of 1/4 nylon rope into the cylinder through the plug hole.
Then bring the piston on up until it stops against the rope.
This holds the valves up without blowing all the lube out of your rings and piston.

Using a compressor like this and the rope you don't have to mess with the air.

(I like to lay a piece of old sheet or something like that around the valve I am working on to catch locks from possibly escaping down into the block.) :D

View attachment 1715241213
This^^^^^

cca-5323_ml.jpg
I have used this one to install Hughes 1129 springs. It's a bit awkward, time-consuming,and underpowered as to lever-ratio, But I made it work. And now my 367 revs to 7200+ without any complaints.

Same tool, cheaper from Mancini...
Proform Valve Spring Compressors, S/B Chrysler

I have one for a BB and it is great.
This ^^^^^ is the one I use for an assembled motor. Very easy to use, and fast...bolt it down and you can do intake and exhaust on one cylinder without removing it.

The cheap one that you have to twist works OK, but its much slower and more work to use. The only time I use those is when the heads are off the motor.

The twist one that I think you are referring to,from post #3, would not fit between the coils, and stay in there, on my Eddie heads, to remove the Hughes 1111 springs, which I wanted to swap out for 1129s.

I recently had to change mine and with double springs on Eddie heads and could not get the finger style puller to work. I went with the pro-from and it worked well. If I was doing it often, I'd look hard at the one from LSM but its close to $300 for the compressor and adapter

View attachment 1715241323I have used this one to install Hughes 1129 springs. It's a bit awkward, time-consuming,and underpowered as to lever-ratio, But I made it work.
AJ! Add a cheater bar, (hollow tube) as long as you need to increase the lever and up the ratio. I have one of those as well. I like it BUT those stiff performance springs can be a bear without the cheater tube.

-
Back