valve springs and push rods

-

woody30

woody30
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought a bunch of stuff and got some things I don't know exactly what they are. I have new valve springs that I have no clue what they are except they are Racer Brown. Do I take them to be pressure tested?? Will it be worth the cost?? Also push rods. How do you measure them? End to end or does the cup indentation get suptracted out? Does that make sense to anybody??

Woody,,,,,,,,

You can buy a 'small' Valve Spring Tester from Goodson Supply out of Minnesota.

Machine Shops use a 'Rimac' Spring Tester, and a good shop probably wouldn't
charge you anything, expect probably a couple Cups of Good Coffee up there in
Walton, New York......off Route 10.

Are the Racer Brown's Small Block or Big Block........

Paul..........

The pushrod length varies. Some use overall, some use from the ball to the bottom of the cup if they are that style... Basically they need to be measured to the thousanth. You might want to have a spring tested and a pushrod measured and buy them some beer or something. If you use a shop for work, ask them. They'll probably do it for free.

All the stuff I got was small block. Springs, push rods, roller cams & lifters, scat stroker kit, bearings, 360 short block, 360/408 block, W2 rockers, a whole bunch of stuff. Enough stuff to make 2 motors out of except no heads. Guy was in his 60's used to do some drag racing on the weekends and now giving it up. Sold his car and had this stuff left over. One guy that does a lot of machine work is an hour away. There isn't squat near me.

Valve spring testers aren't real expensive. I got mine from JEGS for about $40. Easy to use with a hydraulic press or vise. If your that far from a shop you might as well buy one then you'll have it. Probably not much difference in price between buying one and the fuel to drive that far and back

-
Back