Valve springs...

-

Plato2k5

Reaction score
I have the CCA-CL20-222-3 camp, grind number CRS XE262H-10

and its telling me to get the CCA-901-16 springs.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-CL20-222-3&autoview=sku

question is, The guy befor me put the edelbrock performer stuff in, cam, springs, intake, and carb.

Do i have to purchase new retainers/ valve locks/ and shims if i go with the comp cams springs or can i re-use what i have????
thanks

Re-use what you have - but first find out how the springs you have compare to the 901s - you likely don't need to change anything. A few lbs pressure difference to what comp recommends will still work fine. Another suggestion is to remove a spring and have it pressure compared to the valve lifts of your new cam.

i really can't find much on them. I know the edelbrocks are 90psi seat and i think the comps are 101psi.

I have the springs/valves out so i'm going to take one and see what it is rated at. This whay i don't have to spend the money to test them all and find out i can't use them....

How old are the performer valve springs?

well problem is i need this engine built befor 9/14/07 lol. Taking my jeep to Silver Lake Sandunes here in MI.

SO i need to get the engine built and installed and tuned and have some miles on it befor than

can you use stock springs for that cam? Or would it not be worth it>

For a cam break in, it shuld not pose a problem. But for best operation and life, I'd use the springs made for the cam by the manufacturer of the cam.

Use the 901's with the exsisting retainers and locks if there are no signs of wear. The shims are for setting up intalled height. Get yourself an installed height spring checking tool from Summit. They're under $40 IIRC. Set the springs up to Comp's specs, then use a solid lifter (I'm assuming you're using hydraulics) and the correct pushrod (I made an adjustable pushrod just for this) and check for spring bind clearance. If everything is OK to this point, check your retainer to valve guide seal clearance.

I know you're under pressure to get this done, but do it right the first time and avoid engine damage and poor performance. Cruise and Wheel with confidence!
:burnout:

i am going to check everyting. I just don't wana throw alot of money into rite now since i plan on buying new heads.

-
Back