Valve stem wear pattern?

-

megacab

Leglhi
Reaction score
Hey everyone.Was hoping someone could help with an issue.Just finishing up rebuilding my short block and ran into a problem.When i bolted down the rocker arms on my heads,the roller is towards the bottom of the valve stem,instead of being in the center of it like you would want.I tried shimming the shaft up from the head but that made the problem worse and the roller even moved farther away from center.The only way i can see fixing it is milling the pedestals down to bring the shafts CLOSER to the heads.Does that sound right?The heads are W-5's just completely rebuilt and ported by Shady Dell.New valves,springs,guides ect.I dont want to run the heads this way and ruin the guides.Any suggestions would be great.Thanks

Sounds like lash caps might help. I had to run .060 Crower caps on my eddy heads with harland sharps. I think they make em up to .100 or .120 for 11/32" valves. I also think I used Crower because the comp cams ones were too deep (.100 I think) and hit the keepers so make sure you have enough "tip" on the valve to avoid that. Crowers are .060 deep.

are you checking at mid lift? What does the pattern look like when you run it thru a lift cycle?

-
Back