Valve train upgrade

-

66CudaJeff

Reaction score
So I have a 66 Barracuda with a 273 Commando. I just bought it this summer and it had a valve train noise. I pulled the valve covers and found it has adjustable pushrods, hydraulic lifters and non adjustable rocker arms. I found that #2 exhaust pushrod had backed itself off. For now I adjusted it to the length of one of the other pushrods. I don't like this setup at all just wondering if there are any suggestions? I definitely don't want adjustable pushrods! I also wouldn't mind a new mild cam! Should I get new cam, pushrods, lifters and adjustable rocker arms? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance!

PXL_20221026_053321518.jpg

PXL_20221019_204142463.jpg

^^^^^^^^^ Tree’d:thumbsup:
Use one of those adjustable pushrods and set the proper lifter preload, pull it and measure, order the correct length pushrods. Or buy a measuring pushrod and do the same. That’s the basics and in this case all you need to do with what you have.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^ Tree’d:thumbsup:
Use one of those adjustable pushrods and set the proper lifter preload, pull it and measure, order the correct length pushrods. Or buy a measuring pushrod and do the same. That’s the basics and in this case all you need to do with what you have.
Thanks!

But stock length pushrods will be too long? Because I have hydraulic lifters. Solid lifters have longer pushrods?
You have hydraulic lifters, and an hydraulic rocker set up.......Stock hydraulic push rods should get you there. I agree with the above suggestions to measure one of your current adjustables to be certain of length.

Why change anything? You have an adjustable valve train that allows for precise/individual lifter pre-load. If the prod adjuster backed off, it was not properly tightened, not a design fault or reason to change anything.

The only real “issue” I see with keeping the current adj pushrods is they’re 3/8” diameter, and it looks like there is plenty of contact between the pushrods and the heads.

Stock diameter pushrods(5/16”) would provide some additional clearance.

But stock length pushrods will be too long? Because I have hydraulic lifters. Solid lifters have longer pushrods?
How do you know until you measure? Stock length pushrods are different lengths for a Hyd and a solid lifter cam.

Speaking of which, do yourself a favor and see if the cam lobe is being wiped out by removing the intake manifold.

Good catch on the rubbing issue PRH. I noticed after a closer look at the pushrods lock/jam nuts the pushrod in question has a thin jam nut vs the others shown. Unless a thin wrench was used on that while locking the other nut down it could be the reason why the other nut backed off? The adjuster was not locked down sufficiently. And, Something funky on top of that thin nut as well.

CBD8D6F3-8039-4CE2-80CA-809485C1791B.png

You may have Rhoads lifters that need precise adjustment. If not I probably have an extra set of original pushrods or a 5/16-24 nut.

If they are the original Rhoads lifters, they are adjusted like any other hyd lifter, anywhere within the 0.150" or so of travel.

-
Back