Valvoline NextGen Oil - Deceptive Product Name??? What Do You Think?

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Curious what y'all think about this. I've been a lifelong user of Valvoline motor oil and heard a radio commercial at lunch today touting Valvoline's new 'NextGen' motor oil. Turns out the 'NextGen' oil is a combination of 50% re-refined recycled oil and new refined oil. Valvoline claims their 'NextGen' oil meets all of the same standards and requirements as their standard non-synthetic oil.
Is it just me, or do you feel the term 'NextGen' implies something better and more improved over what we may have had before? I don't feel using re-refined recycled oil should be the "next generation".
Opinions???

(New and improved Tide. Is it really better? Or is it clever marketing with new packaging?)

You're right - the name alone could be misleading. Sounds like an oil company trying to throw the greeners a bone while appealing to the simple minded.

Yep I agree, maybe they should have called there new GREEN OIL.
how about sloppy seconds oil?? or environmentalist oil, or save the whale oil, Next Gen??? no way I use only Valvoline and I will continue, but that is deceptive advertising, IMO

Re-refined motor oil is oil that has been totally cleaned of all contaminates (water, sludge, bearing pieces, etc)from your engines and has new additives added to it just like newly refined oil.

I do believe the military uses it.

Oil does not wear out but the additives do.

"There are many practical uses for used motor oil. A primary use is to rerefine it into a base stock for lubricating oil. This process is very similar to the refining of crude oil. The result is that the rerefined oil is of as high a quality as a virgin oil product."

Fancy names and advertising gimmicks sell a lot of stuff because some people don't pay attention or do enough research. I wonder how much......... or should I say "how little", zinc it has!

...or how the price compares to "regular" oil.

What did you think they were doing with all of that used motor oil they've been letting you dump into those 55 gallon drums in the back room at Advance/Autozone/O'Reilly's, etc? It's clever marketing, but that's the name of the game. Refined is refined. How clean do you think the stuff they pump out of the ground is?

the problem is re-refined motor oil was once done as a cost cutting measure, so it wasn't cleaned and filtered very well, because of that it got a bad reputation, when properly done it is as good as motor oil made from crude,
hey on the space shuttle and space station they re-refine piss into drinking water

What did you think they were doing with all of that used motor oil they've been letting you dump into those 55 gallon drums in the back room at Advance/Autozone/O'Reilly's, etc? It's clever marketing, but that's the name of the game. Refined is refined. How clean do you think the stuff they pump out of the ground is?

I'm not questionning the quality, just the somewhat (IMO) deceptive 'NextGen' product name.

...or how the price compares to "regular" oil.

Can't say for sure because I haven't priced it yet. The 'special' price stated on the radio commercial was cheaper than I've seen 'regular' oil priced at - but not as low as the recent special AutoZone had on Valvoline Racing Oil. I recently bought 4 cases of Valvoline Racing Oil at about $2.50 per quart.

There was a rep in trying to sell us that "Next Gen" in bulk. Wanted the same price as the regular.
The *** kicker is, they still charge us to take the old oil away, then they want to re-sell us the oil they just charged us to haul off.
I'm sticking with "virgin" oil.

There was a rep in trying to sell us that "Next Gen" in bulk. Wanted the same price as the regular.
The *** kicker is, they still charge us to take the old oil away, then they want to re-sell us the oil they just charged us to haul off.
I'm sticking with "virgin" oil.

You mark my words. There will come a time when virgin oil is a thing of the past.

You mark my words. There will come a time when virgin oil is a thing of the past.
Wouldn't surprise me.
I just have a hard time paying full price for something that is "used".
I understand that it's refined and made whole again, but they should price it accordingly. The cost of drilling, shipping and crude refining has been removed. They still have the cost of the additives and packaging just like they do with "virgin" oil, but the biggest expense is gone.
Now, they were to sell it at 1/2 price, that would make it easier to stomach $19.95 oil changes.

Re-refined motor oil is oil that has been totally cleaned of all contaminates (water, sludge, bearing pieces, etc)from your engines and has new additives added to it just like newly refined oil.

**Oil does not wear out but the additives do.

You're 100% right about that !

My main concern these days about motor oils -- when it pertains to our old(er) flat tappet lifters engines -- is where or not it contains enough ZDDP .
I just bought 4 qts of Valvoline's 20w50 motorcycle 4-stroke oil ( plus 1 qt of Royal Purple's 20w50 ) at work , for use in my Coronet's stock 318.
Motorcycles still have a wet clutch , and thereby need the ZDDP due to the friction of the clutch :dink:.

As far as "NextGen" or any other cute-sy names are concerned : bullshit .
For our friends whom reside in the other 49 states ( e.g. , NOT Cali ) : you guys have no idea what it's like trying to find chemicals / cleaners that actually work on brakes , carbs , etc. !
Any time you see " 50-State Approved" , it means : "weak-*** , super-low VOC , glorified water , that doesn't work worth a **** ".
That's all you can *legally* buy here. 100% junk .
"Reformulated" = "reformulated to cause you to use more than should be necessary to complete your tasks" .

All of this "green" **** makes me want to buy a Prius , and slam a 12v71 Detroit Diesel into it and drive it around pissing people off !!!:angry4::angry4::angry4:

You know, my Cummins could burn refined motor oil if they made it in 10W, by mixing it 50-50 with diesel...... It sure would save fuel bought at the pump!

Wonder if it is OK with the granolas?

-
Back