vapor lines?????

-

1mean7Ddart

Reaction score
i just put a new gas tank in my 70 dart..... the problem is that my old tank had alot of line and this one only has one on top of the sending unit... can i plugs this or will something bad happen? need some words of wisdom guy... :-?

Are you talking about the 4 side vent pipes for the Evaporative Emission Control?

CR11D.jpg

Welcome to the site 1mean7Ddart.
We need alittle more info to help you.
Pics of the old tank and sending unit would be of help
since you are from California and sometimes your
systems can differ from the rest of the country.
My 70 dart only has one line from the tank to the fuel pump and
a vent in the fill tube.

the tank i pulled off the 74 had that and the venr line ran to the front of the car. the tank on my 70 has the multipul vent lines on the side. i woul think that if that is your only vent port plugging it wouldnt be such a good idea.

ran to the front in to what?

The 72-76 Darts have a charcoal canister from the factory that the vent line ran to. Your 70 had 4 lines because it has a series of vacuum lines run into a sophisticated emissions system they played with out here in CA in 70 & 71. Note the funny looking can sticking up in your trunk, below the filler neck.

Now if you want to eliminate the 4 lines, you will need to run a line from the vent in the tank to somewhere to eliminate a gas smell from the vapors leaving the tank. You can probably use one of the fittings that was used previously, one goes to a little line that runs along the filler neck, should be just the ticket.

Hope this helps. JB

-
Back