Vapor lock or not?

-

mneal

Reaction score
Ok, here's my problem. '71 Duster with a 383, 727TF stock 4bbl intake and Summit 600 carb. Ran great when I took it to Good-Guys in Des Moines a few weeks ago. Now it will start fine when cold but at temp the fuel will start to disappear from the clear plastic filter then it dies. Happens on the road or idling in the garage.

The filter is new, so is the fuel pump, and hoses. Dropped the tank cleaned it out and replaced the pickup/sender unit. Also put 'Cool Tube' on the fuel line from the carb to the pump then from the pump past the header collector.

Once it dies it's tough to restart, usually take 20 minutes of waiting with the hood up to cool things off, then it will restart. Timing is at spec, nothing has changed since the show other than I added a flex fan and shroud and put the electric fan on a manual switch (electronics kept failing). The only part thats not insulated is rail for the dual feed carb.

Out of ideas.
Thanks!

My solution was

Electric pump at the tank

Added vapor return system

Couple of thin insulators under the carb

Added the vapor return system that you outlined in another thread...so far so good. Had her out twice since installing for over an hour each time and not a hic-up.

Thanks!

Very good. This has not 100% cured mine, IE on hot days, after a "hot soak" it sometimes cranks for 5-10 seconds, but it certainly is a gigantic improvement.

-
Back