Vapor lock??

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
Hey guys,I have a question on vapor lock.I noticed that when I drive my car to town and back(about 15 miles) and then turn it off,I have a hard time starting it back,this happens after it has been turned off for about 5 min.I was told this is vapor lock and occurs when the fuel in the line gets hot from the heat of the motor or manifold.I have seen on other posts that some members have routed the fuel line from the fuel pump to carb by going over the valve cover.Does this work or is there an effective way to insulate the line to prevent this?Thanks

I'll bet it's probably flooding out by percolating the fuel in the carb bowl. Next time you drive it on that 15 mile loop, before you try to restart it, yank off the air cleaner and peer down the top of the carb and see if it squirts fuel when you open the throttle by hand. If it's able to squirt fuel, it ain't vapor locked.

I had a slight hard hot start issue on my 273 Commando. I went with a 1/2" wood fiber laminate spacer under the carb. No more hard hot start issues since!

Someone sells heat shield for around the fuel line, but luckily I didn't need it.

I'll bet it's probably flooding out by percolating the fuel in the carb bowl. Next time you drive it on that 15 mile loop, before you try to restart it, yank off the air cleaner and peer down the top of the carb and see if it squirts fuel when you open the throttle by hand. If it's able to squirt fuel, it ain't vapor locked.
Ok,thanks I will check that

I had a slight hard hot start issue on my 273 Commando. I went with a 1/2" wood fiber laminate spacer under the carb. No more hard hot start issues since!

Someone sells heat shield for around the fuel line, but luckily I didn't need it.
Where did you get your spacer?would you have a pic?

OK, was having trouble with that dang Google Drive. Here are the pics of my spacer.

Attachments

• IMG_20160320_182405.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20160320_182437.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 99
-
Back