-
Status
Not open for further replies.

70-duster

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Contact seller
Does anyone have a breather cap that has the vent tube on it for the 71 mopars with a 318? I don't need a perfect one, just one to get by. If not, does anyone know an alternative other than taking the system out? Please include shipping to 60545.

there are 2 different styles of breathers for 1970 & later motors :
- 49 state ( has two hoses ; 1 to the air cleaner base , one to the EEC line (iirc) )
- California / Cleaner Air Package ( "N95" ) ( has only the hose which connects to the air cleaner base )

I am looking for one that the tube coming from the back of the car goes to. I heard on the 318's it was vented to a breather. This car supposedly came from California, but I can't say for sure.

look for sales code "N95" on the fender tag . But , by your description , it sounds like it's originally a 49-state emissions' car .

I have a '71 Scamp that needs a gas tank. Well, I have a new older model tank that doesn't have the nipple for this line. I'm hoping I can use the older tank and a vented gas cap and do away with the little line to the breather.
Does anyone see any reason this won't work? If it will work I'll use a regular v/c breather.
I'll take a pic of mine and you can see if it's what you are looking for.
Dallas

there are 2 different styles of breathers for 1970 & later motors :
- 49 state ( has two hoses ; 1 to the air cleaner base , one to the EEC line (iirc) )
- California / Cleaner Air Package ( "N95" ) ( has only the hose which connects to the air cleaner base )

That's scrambled.

'70 California and '71 50-state + Canada V8 cars got a breather cap with one small-diameter hose to the fuel tank vent, one small-diameter hose to the carb bowl vent, and one large-diameter hose to the air cleaner.
P/N 3462 096.

'70 California and '71 50-state + Canada \6 cars got a breather cap with one small-diameter hose to the fuel tank vent and one large-diameter hose to the air cleaner.
P/N 3462 095.

'70 49-state and '72-up 50-state + Canada cars with all engines got a breather cap with one large diameter hose to the air cleaner.
P/N 3462 094 (and many supercessions to later P/Ns)

Take careful note of those part numbers, which come to us directly from the Chrysler '70-'71 master parts catalogue, and then have a big belly laugh at that moneygrubbing buffoon, Frank Mitchell of Mitchell Motor Parts, who is babbling on eBay and sundry other sites about his new American-made 3462 095s for '70-'78 V8 applications. Hundred 'n' thirty bucks apiece plus shipping. BZZT! Wrong.

The OP needs a 3-port cap ('096) for his V8 application. These haven't been serviced in the aftermarket for a very long time. I see a few of them on eBay for ridiculous money, though here is a cleaned-up used one that's not too hideous. Just as effective: get a good quality ordinary 1-large-port Mopar breather cap, such as a Wix 42997. Looks like this:

getimage.php

Also get a couple of brass fittings with 1/8" pipe thread on one end and 5/16" hose barb on the other. Dorman Everbrass #2731, for example. Stick a magnet up into the bottom port of the breather and drill an appropriately-sized hole in the side of the breather, with the magnet directly below your drill bit so it'll catch shavings that fall. Turn the breather 90° and repeat. Apply J-B Weld to the threads of the pipe fittings and thread them securely into the side of the breather. Let the J-B Weld cure, and voila, your new 3-port breather. You can also drill the fittings into the valve cover if you prefer; angle them upward so any oil drops that might splash into them will drain back down into the crankcase on the inside instead of into the hose connected to them on the outside.

I have a '71 Scamp that needs a gas tank. Well, I have a new older model tank that doesn't have the nipple for this line. I'm hoping I can use the older tank and a vented gas cap and do away with the little line to the breather.

The only vented caps for A-bodies are the pressure-vacuum type; there are no free-vented caps for our cars of any year. You could swap in a '68-'69 + '70-except-California fuel filler pipe and vent tube. WOuld take some trunk drilling.

See here.

I may just have to do away with the system. I have a 318 with a Edelbrock intake, holley carb, and moroso chrome air cleaner. None of which I can use the hoses on.:scratch: Any ideas on what I can do with the hose leading up to the front of the car? If I eliminate the hoses on the tank, I should probably loop them to each other huh? Will I get a smell in the car if I don't?

I may just have to do away with the system. I have a 318 with a Edelbrock intake, holley carb, and moroso chrome air cleaner. None of which I can use the hoses on

Not true. The only thing you can't do is duct the crankcase breather to the air cleaner.

Any ideas on what I can do with the hose leading up to the front of the car?

Tap 'em into your valve covers with hose barb fittings or retrofit a charcoal canister.

If I eliminate the hoses on the tank, I should probably loop them to each other huh?

Doing so will cause enormous problems, for the fuel tank won't be vented properly. Don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back