Variable speed vs. 3 speed wipers

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Can someone please advise what the difference is between the two? The manual I have on CD doesn't show the difference. Also, is the wiper assembly different?

Thanks

I believe variable up to and including 1971. 3 speed began in 1972.

They use the same motor, the controls are in the switch. 1n 1972, you can see the big resister on the side of the switch. The variable are larger and have a sweeping motion with the switch knob. The wiring harness plugs are also different. My 1971 has a 2 piece plug that gets oriented based on a 2 spd vs 3 spd option. In '72 it is one plug.

I hypothesize.........You could run 3 speed wipers in the earlier models if you can't find a variable switch. I believe that would entail removing the individual wires from the early plug, and inserting them in the correct locations of the newer plug. Never tested it though! :)

NOTE.....3 speed/variable motors are different than 2 speed motors.

1710717125068.jpeg
.......3 Speed.

1710717244206.jpeg
........Variable Speed.

I appreciate the response. So, assuming that the variable speed is like the delay wipers on modern vehicles, what does the 3 speed wiper switch do?

So then variable wasn't the same as later "delayed" wipers?

As you turn them down, they go slower IIRC. The resister is variable, while with the 3 speed, the resisters are stepped (low, medium, and high) if that make any sense.

So then, how did the 3 speed wipers work? Was it actually a very slow swipe on the first setting, and increasing in speed with the next 2 levels?

So what makes the variable speed and the 3 speed wipers is the switch? I have several switches, and the 3 speed motor.

Your current dash harness won't accommodate a 3 speed switch without modifying the connector as 3 speed was not an option...Only variable......See previous posts.

I messed with this a couple of years ago with my 1971 Demon, and found this to be the case.....For my car anyway.

Again, hypothesized.........A connector from a '72+ and the corresponding 3 speed switch. You'll notice that all the pins are labelled on the switch.

Here is a generic pic of a switch. See how the letters are labelled on the switch.......You would need to remove those wires from your original harness and orient them to match the new connector and 3 speed switch. The letters are on the switch as well.

1710722328565.jpeg

Yes I realize that. It was just a generic pic to show how the wiring is identified behind the switch. Each harness has the same wires, and whatever switch you use has the corresponding letter ID's. You've got to match them up. A variable switch will directly plug into your harness, but the three speed will need the wires moved around and installed in the newer connector so they match the terminal layout at the rear of the 3 speed switch.

Oh, gotcha. I believe I have both kinds of switches, but I think I would lean more towards the variable speed. Unfortunately, I've not seen what either one looks like during operation, so I can only guess how they would appear.

Well, I was incorrect. I only have a 2 speed and a 3 speed switch.
Now another question. I have a Chrysler interchange book. The part number for the variable speed switch (apparently no 3 speed option that year) is not the same part number as the one I have. According to the interchange book, the switch I have is for a Challenger. It appears that the terminals are the same, so I can assume this switch will work?

If its a switch for a Challenger, you would need the schematics for the Challenger to see which wire and connector does what.
Your switch and motor must match. Any deviating from oem or factory would make it "custom". As stated the harness may need to be altered which means breaking out the schematics.
You can also change the connector(s) so that they are individual terminals.
Well, I was incorrect. I only have a 2 speed and a 3 speed switch.
Now another question. I have a Chrysler interchange book. The part number for the variable speed switch (apparently no 3 speed option that year) is not the same part number as the one I have. According to the interchange book, the switch I have is for a Challenger. It appears that the terminals are the same, so I can assume this switch will work?

Thanks. I found wiring diagrams for the vehicle in question. I was wrong about it, though. After double checking, it's for a 72-74 B-body. But it's also listed for a Challenger, so I'm kinda confused as to which one applies.

-
Back