-
Status
Not open for further replies.

flynlady

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
I'm looking for the hinges for the vent boxes in my 1966 Plymouth Valiant Signet. Mine are currently being held on with duct tape!

Attachments

• IMG_0707-1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 580
How about the whole vent box? They are pretty easy to replace.
Helps if your a contortionist...lol

I'm learning that working on cars requires one to be a contortionist...lol! Do you possibly have a vent not or 2 hanging around? I definitely to not need the entire heater box BUT both vent boxes are missing hinges.

I do have an extra vent box. I will check the hinges on it. I think it would be easier to replace the whole box. Might have to take the box out just to replace the hinge anyway. If i remember correctly they are held in by 2 or 3 J hooks with 3/8" nuts inside the box. They are kinda just hanging there...lol

45.00 ! They are smoking dope ! I will send you mine for free... Let me check condition first

Anyone know why a common hardware store hinge wouldn't work there ?

It could be done, but the door hinges from the corners but i am sure you could make a normal set of higes work if you work on them....

Attachments

• DSC00994.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 406
  • DSC00995.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC00996.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 335
  • DSC00997.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 328
Thanks for the reminder pic. I forgot how the hinge was configured.
I do wish someone would create a replacement cover with a screened and griled vent to put there. I'm imagining a round grille with louvers all directing one way and assembly can be rotated to direct the air where desired. Variable open close, screen to catch debis.
I'm sure Leanna would be happy to powder coat a few thousand of these.
At the rate my current projects are progressing I wont live long enough to get on this one.

Thanks for all of the suggestions .... especially, mbaird! I'm still trying to figure out what works from one a-body to the next. I had no idea that a vent box from a 66 Valiant is the same as a 73 Demon. How DOES one find out these things?!?!?

Thanks for all of the suggestions .... especially, mbaird! I'm still trying to figure out what works from one a-body to the next. I had no idea that a vent box from a 66 Valiant is the same as a 73 Demon. How DOES one find out these things?!?!?

Actually, I am pretty sure the vent boxes are different after 1966.....

Different after 66... The main difference being that the 67 and up boxes are bolted to the cowl with 3 nuts and the early box hangs from wire rods hooked to the flange of the co. The door on the drivers side is also rounded on the corner on the early cars where the later cars have angled corners as pictures above. I have an extra box with a good hinge but its seized as of right now!! I have been spraying and heating, spraying and heating trying to baby it open. I have one pin free and am still babying the other. Message if you're interested in taking over the babying!! Geof

Thanks, cosgig, but I have enough stuff that I have to "baby" with. Good luck with that and keep us posted!!

I didn't realize that they were different on early A's . The one I have is from a 74 so it may not work for you. Sorry about that.
It appears that the hinge pivots are just rivets... take the box off and look at them....do they look like rivets? If so just take them to a machine shop or even a HVAC shop and flutter your big browns...lol.. Or drill them out yourself and clean the metal parts with steel wool , get the pivot points real clean... Then go to hardware store and buy some black epoxy appliance paint. Then off to the fabric store for some thin dense foam..

Voila... you have restored your air boxes !

Some of you metal working guys out there probably know the technical term for those rivets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back