Vent Window Disassembly - I'm stuck

-

PocketAces

Reaction score
I'm trying to take apart the vent window on my 65 Dart so I can replace the gasket. I've got it out of the car, but I'm stuck on the last piece.:banghead:

There is a pin sticking out of the shaft to limit the rotation of the glass. I've circled it in red, below. I don't think it's a pin. I think it's part of the casting but I can't tell for sure and I don't want to break it off.

Do I need to pull this pin out of the shaft? Or do I need to drill out the rivets that hold the bracket to the bottom channel? Or is there some other magic trick that I'm missing?

Attachments

• P0003_102911.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 177
I'm hoping someone will see this and know the answer so I can get the door back together.

it should be a roll pin-- it pulls out!!It is exactly as you expect it limits the vent window movement & from separating from the unit. Lawrence

it should be a roll pin-- it pulls out!!It is exactly as you expect it limits the vent window movement & from separating from the unit. Lawrence

It's not a roll pin. It's not hollow and it has more than one lengthwise groove. In the daylight with the magnifying glasses, I can see that it appears to be a different piece of metal than the shaft. The shaft is not drilled all the way through so I can't drive it out with a drift punch.

I'm going to get more physical with it. If it breaks, I'll drill it out and replace it with a roll pin.

Is tha pin "sandwiched" with the other piece around it?? Shouldnt the other piece come off?

The sheet metal bracket that wraps around it has a screw that adjusts the drag on the shaft so the wind doesn't move the vent window. That bracket is riveted to the bottom channel. I could drill out the rivets, but then I have to worry about a pop rivet interfering with the gasket.

Attachments

• P0002_102911.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 132
It's not a roll pin. It's not hollow and it has more than one lengthwise groove. In the daylight with the magnifying glasses, I can see that it appears to be a different piece of metal than the shaft. The shaft is not drilled all the way through so I can't drive it out with a drift punch.

I'm going to get more physical with it. If it breaks, I'll drill it out and replace it with a roll pin.

Put the vise grips on it an gave it a pull and twist and it came right out. It's definitely a pin. :cheers:

Thanks for the help.

Ok, I think yer bottom piece with the pin is attached to the glass right?? If so cant you "spread" apart the sandwich pieces so that when you turn the vent glass the pin faces the opposite way than in the pics and pull it out?? My next guess is to get in touch with the gasket/seal manufacturer and see what they say.

i just remeber that it pulled right out-- I had 3 vent assemblies of that vintage-- with decent chrome -- that someone on here purchased some time ago, Lawrence

My plan was to transfer a good gasket from a hard top vent window assembly into the convertible assembly. The gasket is squished down into a channel and it looked like a p.i.t.a. to move just the gasket.

What I realized is that the only difference between the hard top and convertible is the chrome piece on the front and the rubber piece that stops the window at the top. So I transferred those pieces to the hard top assembly instead. Much easier.

My door is back together now.

-
Back