vent window frame removal?

-

res1vw21

It's only metal
Reaction score
'71 swinger
does anyone know how to remove the vent window frame? I have all the windows out but I can't see how to remove the darn frame. I took all the nuts and bolts off it that I could find and it wiggles around but stays put. What am I missing???????
thanks
-Ross-

yep and the one in the front. it almost seems like it is held in with spot welds.

there is a hole in the upper potion of the door panel (the metal part) I couldn't see in it or feel anything but that might be the key. humm

Did you get the allen head screw behind the tiny plug in the inside top portion of the door just below the vent lock. I will post a picture when I get home.

there is a hole in the upper potion of the door panel (the metal part) I couldn't see in it or feel anything but that might be the key. humm

You can put your hand in the large hole and slide it up along the frame of the vent window. When you get to the point you don't think your arm or hand will go any further, you should feel a bolt that goes in to a metal mount inside the door. Have fun, and keep a couple of bandaids handy. :munky2: :)

mine has three screws on the top front edge of the door above the vent window and into the vent window frame. also the bolt through the bottom covered by a removeable plastic cap. I had to remove the door window regulator as well so that the main window was free to slide.

I hope that helped

Keep in mind mine is in a 4 door 76 dart. I just replaced the drivers vent window with one from a member here.

Some have a hidden adjuster type screw behind the door seal, top of forward edge of door.
WARNING , Place a chair or something between the door and the car. If the vent window assembly is lifted from its proper position and an attempt is made to close the door, serious damage can occur. Good luck :)

ok guys thanks. I think there is the allen head that I need to take out. Ill let you know monday what happens.

These pictures are from a 70 dart door. The 71 doors are the same I don't know about any other years. Remove the black plug next to my finger and use a 3/16 allen wrench to get the bolt out. This bolt goes into a bracket shown by the black handled screw driver the other screw drivers show the location of the other bolts.

IMG_9748.jpg

IMG_9749.jpg

Wow THANK YOU!!! I got all the other ones but the pic is the best!

That swinger of yours is one purdy car!

I've always had to remove the glass "whiskers" to get the vent assembly to tilt back enough to come out. It's a lot easier to pull them out before the vent than to try to straighten them out after the vent is in or out.

hey ross, just talked to my dad about it and it looks like 340 swing has already guided you in the right direction...thats the same thing my dad said as well...good luck hope it worked out

340swing-thanks for the pictorial-I just received a set of vent window seals for Christmas and from start to finish took almost exactly an hour after reviewing this thread. Probably would've been a smidge quicker if it weren't for the rusted door panel clips :(

These pictures are from a 70 dart door. The 71 doors are the same I don't know about any other years. Remove the black plug next to my finger and use a 3/16 allen wrench to get the bolt out. This bolt goes into a bracket shown by the black handled screw driver the other screw drivers show the location of the other bolts.

thanks for that pic!

posting for future reference. :)

FWIW, the pics apply to at least 70-72 as my '72 Scamp was exactly the same...ran out of time before I could get the driver side door done, but I figure I'll knock that out sometime tomorrow...

Funny,lastweek I just found out that there,s an adjuster wheel for tightening my vent window(real loose)on my 66 Dart.It,s up in the door right under the vent window.Learn something new every day.:D

Just found this thread after spending 2 hours and not finding the hidden allen screw. THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES AND THIS SHOULD BE A STICKEY

Just found this thread after spending 2 hours and not finding the hidden allen screw. THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES AND THIS SHOULD BE A STICKEY
Isn't that a *****. Wouldn't you love to meet the guy who came up with that one!

-
Back