Verdict on Dodge Neon?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Do you think a used Dodge Neon would be a good car for a teenager? Assume that said teenager would not abuse it. Are they reasonably dependable, or a PITA?

very good car that was my first car in highschool when the dart wasnt running,i had a 95 Neon Sport with a 5 speed great car i use to street race it for fun an it held its own out there with all the little ricers out there:bootysha:

MIKEY

My niece has one right now and has been driving it for the past 2 years...she just turned 20

Ordered a 95 Neon Hiline 4 months after they first came out. First new car we ever bought. Really liked the car but didn't have good luck with it (The VIN showed that the car was assembled in Mexico). Had to have the engine computer replaced twice. Heater switch replaced twice. Heater motor replaced. Carpet edge was showing because it was incorrectly installed. Door was mis-aligned from the factory. Lots of other niggling problems, so many that I can't remember them all. Ended up having to have the head gasket & rear main seal replaced at about 60,000 miles & traded the car in 3 months later. Hopefully the bugs were worked out on the later-built cars.

I bought a new `03 Neon SXT with the 2.0L and 5spd. I put 60,000 miles on it in a year. I didn`t have a single problem with mine. I do agree with `64 Cuda, the earlier ones had problems with head gasket problems.
When I wear out my `91 Sundance, I`m gonna buy another Neon.

I know a tec here in town and he said the same thing about the head gasket.
My oldest son and my brother inlaw had one know problems with there's.

I've been trying to find a later one for my 19 year old daughter. I heard that the later ones don't have the head gasket problems.

Wife's had 120 on when Water Pump locked, and killed valves in head on interference motor. Other then this, it has been BULLET PROOF, only dollars spent that is not normal maintainance (oil & filter, plugs and wires, and a battery) were rear wheel bearings and a driver front window regulator. In addition, this car had been in an accident, and shown no ill effects. Grade A-

I have a 2004 SRT-4 . This is the greatest little car I have ever owned. It's as quick as any stock 340 car out there and it handles better than most Corvettes. Its only got about 25000 miles on it but so far, not one problem. The fit and finish on the car is also first class. I don't know about other Neons but I would recomend this Model to anyone.
Good Luck,
Benny

The only problem I see with the Neon now is, fuel mileage. With the gas prices going up, it seams like everybody wants one and the sale price is going up on them. If you get a chance to get one, get it. I am looking for me a SRT-4. Not sure what MPG is on one thou.

I bought a few years ago, and still own, a 95 Neon Highline 2.0L SOHC 5 spd. Gave $200 for it, from a prive owner, (elderly woman), with a blown headgasket at 100K miles. Knowing that the service interval for the timing belt was close, (recommended at 105K), I went ahead and done it all. MLS headgasket, had the head surface trued up, new head bolts, timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, tensioner pulley, cam seals, o2 sensor, basically everything that's known to go bad on the topend of the engine. I do my own work, so labor was cheap. lol

As said before, been bullet proof mechanically since. One thing that I upgraded on my Neon that was a huge improvement, were the headlights. The original headlights were severely fogged up, as most do. I bought diamond clear headlights from Modern Performance and used the Sulvania Silver Star cartridges.

Another annoying problem with the first generation Neon is the door windows not sealing well which creates wind noise. I usually move the window up and down slightly while driving down the road, until I find the "sweet spot".

Overall, It's been a good dependable car, and gets consistant 30+ MPG. On a grading scale, I'd give mine a B.

-
Back