Verify my brakes... (pics)

-

ATW

Reaction score
Question #1: Is there a thread or a diagram or something that lists how many different drum brake options there were from ..say.. 1965-73 for 7.25, 8.25, and 8.75 rear ends?

I've acquired two 8.75 rear ends this year.

The first one was a freebie. I was walking at a friend's house and tripped over it in a field of tall grass. After talking with some of his relatives, it turned out to be from a 1969 Road Runner which I verified it being a B-body length by checking the dimensions. It was pulled from the car in '70 or '71 and sat since. The car was scrapped. I also verified it as a sure-grip rear end with a 742 case. Unsure of ratio. I was told "You get it off of my property and you can have it." :angel4: --Gladly!

I pulled a drum off and it was like preserved in time. Damn near flawless and the brakes were like new. Cool.

Not bad for sitting in outside in Wisconsin for almost 40 years:

CIMG0375.jpg

Fast forward a few months..

I was browsing Chicago's Craigslist ads and found an ad for an 8.75 rear end for an A-body. Complete drum-to-drum. I called the guy and arranged to check it out. Ended up picking it up for $275. 741 case with a locker. SBP. Came out of a '65 Barracuda which he had on the 2 post lift in his shop for me to see. Cool, again.

So my plans are to combine what I have into a nice little rear end. Going to take the A-body 8.75 and put the SG from the B-body into it. I'm also taking the brakes from the B-body (since they're bigger and LBP and my car has a 73+ disc swap in the front already) and putting them on the A-body 8.75, too. Now comes my question:

What brakes do I have here?

Pictures of the drums from each axle... the SBP A-body drum on the left, and the BBP B-body drum on the right.

CIMG0377.jpg

CIMG0378.jpg

The A-body drum has the big flange and flares out wide. The b-body has the spring all the way around it.

My A-body drum measures as this:
-10" inside diameter
-2" inside shoe surface
-1.75" brake shoe width

So my Question #2 is: Do I have 10x2 brakes or 10x1.75 since the shoes are 1.75 in width?

Pics:

CIMG0379.jpg

CIMG0382.jpg

Now for the B-body brakes:

Dimensions:
-11" inside diameter
-3" inside shoe surface
-2.5" brake shoe width

Question #3: Are these 11x3" brakes? Do they make a different 11" brake or is this the only one?

Pics:

CIMG0381.jpg

CIMG0383.jpg

I thank everyone for their help. :D

I am not sure what brakes you have so I will let someone else chime in.....BUT......

If you are planning on keepng the large bolt pattern brakes and using them on the a-body 8 3/4"....... you are going to have to get new axles arent you?.......because the large pattern axles from the b-body housing will be longer than what the a-body housing will except.

just curious if you had thought about that or not.

Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I wanted to know the exact information so I can forward what I need to Doctor Diff and get my new axles. I forgot to add that in my post.

All Dr diff will need is if your going to use small bolt drums that you are going to redrill or if your going to use big bolt brakes.

Pretty sure you need backing plates to match the drums keep that in mind when changing.

Regarding the drums FYI on the A body cars I think the fronts are 10" X 2" and the rears are 10" X 1.75"

The A body drum is most likely out of a 1970-72 car as they had the belled drum like that. Pretty sure the earlier drums and that one interchange they just look completely different.

Thanks for the info. I saw a pic of a 72 Duster's rear drums and they were the same so that makes sense. I plan on swapping everything from the B-Body over.. drums, plates, etc..

-
Back