Very frustrated...

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
O.k. after day 3 of fighting with a broken bolt that wont come out of my pinion yoke, I decided that I would take the yoke off and bring it to my step-dad's shop so he can try... I bought a new breaker bar and 2 foot section of heavy duty pipe (to hold the yoke still as I have seen on a thread about making your own tools) I have put every drop of what i've got into trying to remove the nut but it will not budge. I've even gotten into a position where i'm using my foot to push the breaker bar and the most i've done was tear up the pipe that I was using to hold the yoke.
Are there any tips or tricks before I resort to trying dynamite?
:drinkers:

Drill it out and tap for a bigger bolt
Or you could buy a new one as a last resort

Drill it out and tap for a bigger bolt
Or you could buy a new one as a last resort

Very easily said. Not so easily done. took 6 drill bits to get a decent hole in the bolt. Took 1 bolt extractor to totally F! up everything by breaking off in that hole. Now I have to try to drill through that piece of extractor... My Cobalt bits wont touch it...

Time to weld something to it and try removing it.

Very easily said. Not so easily done. took 6 drill bits to get a decent hole in the bolt. Took 1 bolt extractor to totally F! up everything by breaking off in that hole. Now I have to try to drill through that piece of extractor... My Cobalt bits wont touch it...

My Pops just broke a bolt in the yolk of is 86 Ramcharger. I just used my "Lightning" drill bits from Snap-on and used my Snap-on extractor and backed it out no problem...

He also broke one of those Harbor freight extractors in it. I took a grinding bit and bowled out the bolt area a little and I could see the reliefs in the extractor. I inserted a small set of needlenose pliers and backed the extractor out. Then I did as stated above. Took maybe 15 minutes.

Take it to someone whose GOOD with a TIG welder. And I mean GOOD. They will know what to do.

Oh and now you also know to add cheap *** bolt extractors to your list of stuff to throw in the useless tool drawer. They always cause more trouble than they get you out of.

What do we think of this idea... Drilling a hole in the back of the yoke so that either A). I can use a very small punch to push out the extractor and try to drill out again. or B). Drill from the back of the yoke and try to drill something in the back of the bolt that will basically unscrew the bolt out the front.
Would this compromise the strength of the yoke? seeing as the threads go almost all he way through I thought it may not make too big of a difference.

I'm going to try this later tonight when I get off of work (unless any of you have any objections to this method) speak now or forever hold your peace.:sleepy5:

I work in a ferd dealer(have to pay bill)
and we do alote of exhaust manifold
what one of my mecanic do when he broke an extractor
in a stud he drill it with concrete drill bit
they have titan at there ends
with an electric drill it make it turn slowly
the drill beat get hot and it goes slowly but
he can drill it out with out problem you can try it
cost maybe 8$ for the bit

A 1/2 inch air impact driver should get the pinion nut off to remove the yoke. Good luck.

If you have a drill press that would help. Never had luck with extractors either.

position wrench on yoke nut against floor and push car a few inches with another car

The yoke retaining nut is torqued to 240 ft. lbs. but it seems like 500 ft. lbs. or I'm getting old and weak, LOL. I've never been able to get them off with a 1/2" breaker bar. I use my 3/4 drive breaker bar with a pipe extension if the Ingersol 2131 don't take it off which it usually does.

BTW: If diff. in question is a 8-3/4 what case do you have? If you have a 489 case taking the yoke off is not a good idea because you disturb the crush sleeve setting.

Another thought is if you can't get it out you might be able to find a good used yoke fairly cheap. I've bought and sold them for $25-40

I didnt see it mentioned, but what about snap-on LH drill bits?? Small set of 6 cost me about $35 best money I have ever spent. Which bolt is broken? the one for the U-joint straps??

use a large pipe wrench to hold the yoke still while you remove the nut to get the yoke off

I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ingersoll-Rand-...235?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2d32a0e3

It has never failed to get pinion nuts off. Never. Not even on OTR trucks. The trick is, the right air supply. You need plenty of compressor plus a 1/2" air hose and 1/2" air fittings on the hose. Use the right tool for the job and you lessen your chances of seeing the inside of the emergency room. Always wear eye protection.

-
Back