Very noisy PCV valve

-

MoparMike1974

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just finished an exhaust system on the 340 dart and im now minus a couple big exhaust leaks. The new found silence has made me aware that my pcv valve makes a ton of rattling noise. Its a brand new valve. Do you think I should try another one? I have never heard a pcv valve make this much noise.

I just finished an exhaust system on the 340 dart and im now minus a couple big exhaust leaks. The new found silence has made me aware that my pcv valve makes a ton of rattling noise. Its a brand new valve. Do you think I should try another one? I have never heard a pcv valve make this much noise.
The ones from the parts stores seem to all rattle like you mention, I got a noisy Fram from AutoZone and I pitched it for one made by Standard, I think a v-180 off ebay. Do some searches, it's been discussed here in the past.

The spring is too weak. If you pay 2 dollars for a PCV valve, you ain't gotta lotta complainin to do. lol

What is your idle vacuum level? If it is down around where the PCV transitions from idle flow to cruise flow, then the internal valve is gonna be shuttling back and forth between positions. The rattling may be a good sign that you need a different PCV valve, with a lower vacuum level for the transition. Discussions of different vacuum level valves are in this forum.

Its a new fram pcv that I bought about 15 years ago. Pulled it off the shelf still in the box. I have some off brand ones here somewhere, will try one of those.

if you have a rumpy cam, not enough vac to hold it shut. the pvc is from the government, not needed really. a breather does more good.

I'm watching this, mine does the same thing. I have a steady 18" of vacuum at idle. I figured I had a bad PCV, although it's new.

Honestly I havent even checked the timing on this yet. Its an all original 340 dart sport and it runs excellent. Someone had put 2" dual exhaust on it and I just upgraded to 2.5" TTI kit.
Im pulling the engine to go through it when the weather warms up. I might go ahead and do a re-ring, bearings and possibly cam it up a little. I have an edelbrock air gap and AVS2 waiting to go on top. That being said, probably wont fiddle with it much until the engine goes back in. I will swap the PCV out in the next few days and see if that annoyance goes away.
Yes, it has the factory breather on the passenger side and pcv on driver side.
I need to get a vac gauge....

I swapped the pcv out with another one and problem is gone. While I was at it I checked the timing and it was around 2° initial. Bumped it up to around 10 and she is running much better. Need to back the timing off a hair, had some slight pinging when I mash the throttle. Other than that its running great. It has 17" of vacuum while idling.
Now I need to do something with the damn heat riser on the exhaust manifold that rattles like hell when its idling. Hoping the missing spring will take care of it.

I'm watching this, mine does the same thing. I have a steady 18" of vacuum at idle. I figured I had a bad PCV, although it's new.
Probably bad.
My 1500 5.9 mag , pcv did the same, sprayed carb cleaner...river of grime came out , reinstalled and it stopped rattling.

It was a new pcv valve so it was not clogged up. Just defective or too light of a spring.

-
Back