Vibration after spring change

-

dart0571

Reaction score
I have a 71' dart 225/904/7.25 I just changed the leaf springs and now I'm getting a vibration while driving. I rechecked everything with the springs and it all looks good I'm thinking I may have damaged something else while doing the change. The vibration starts at 10mph but goes away if I shift to neutral or if I get up to 15-20mph. Then it comes back around 30-40mph but it's more of a drone then a shaking. At 10mph it shakes the car but at 30-40 it's a lot less noticeable. I'm thinking u-joints but I'm not sure how to check those. Any ideas? I've been playing with this for a few days and can't figure it out.

Try rotating the driveshaft 180*, and check to see if the vibration goes away. If that doesn't cure it, jack the rear of the car up. Put the rearend securely on stands and have someone put it in gear and watch the driveshaft to see if you can determine where the vibration is.

Check your joints and then your pinion angle, you either have joints that have a set wear pattern or you might have disturbed needles if you removed the shaft from the diff when you changed the springs or you have a angle issue

I agree with the above 2 posts.

Replacing the springs is a straight bolt in. This bolt goes here, that bolt goes there, not much you can mess up on except the rear u-joint.

It is possible that you failed to install or installed backwards the axle shims, that would cause incorrect pinion angle. Also if your springs have a drastically different arch.

I had to adjust pinion angle on a Duster after spring change and torsion bar adjustment to get of vibration. Check other stuff first and make sure your transmission rubber mount is still good.

I didn't find any shims when replacing the old springs. This is a Minnesota car so the shims could have been some of the rust that came off with the springs. I've had air shocks on the car years ago and could raise/lower the car all I wanted with out any vibrations. I've got the car up in the air now and it still vibrates I just can't hold the speed for vibration and look under it at the same time. I'll have my dad over later to help me and I'll let you know. Also, is it possible to break something in the rear end by pounding it free from the springs?

What a difference a pinion angle makes. I just made a pack of washers with some electrical tape and stuck it under the rear of the axles spring pad to angle the front down and the noise was gone. I just went for a drive and I still hear a little something but it doesn't shake the car anymore. I'll be ordering some shims I guess and probably a new u-joint, I'm thinking mine may have worn to the old spring height and didn't like the change. I'm also going to be changing to a 8 1/4" someday so I might wait till then.

Thanks everyone for the help!

-
Back