vibration update...good news found in a bad way

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
Well...I think i finally found where the vibration is. The horrible one at 55+, that isn't always there.
Strangely, it was only after i put on the S/S springs. and sometimes, i could drive over 55 for a random amount of time, and then it would start with its horrible vibration all of a sudden.

On the way to the track today, i fought it the whole way, coasting down below 55, and back up to 60-70....then back down again when the vibration started.....

once i hit the interstate, i was angry, so i punched it up to 90+, hoping something would just break.

Then came the smoke.....couldn't see cars behind me.
Got to the track, and the rear seal had vibrated right out of the tailshaft. SO...it looks to me like it's the tailshaft bushing???even though there's not really that much play in it?

i figure the reason it started after the springs is because of the extra ride height puting more side load on the yoke. and then it coming and going because sometimes, it would be centered and floating in just the right spot, until i hit a bump or something, then the yoke would get cocked....

sound possible????

See if the nut is loose on the yoke. I have one that kept coming loose, now the bearing is bad. Or maybe the bearing went bad and that's why the nut wouldn't stay tight

:scratch:

it's the tranny slip yoke....
the rear axle yoke is fine. that was one of the checks i made when i was troubleshooting it.

:-k Maybe the driveshaft is a smidge too short and allows the yoke to wobble just a bit because it doesn't engage the splined output shaft enough.

-
Back