vibration

-

midlife89

Reaction score
Need help,@ 1400-1800 getting a vibration I can feel in the wheel,doesn't matter if the car is moving or sitting still in park or neutral.Although it is worst going down the road.About my engine:76 360 KB107 pistons,stock rods,crank,harmonic balancer,converter and flex plate.Guy who did machine work said no need to balance it since it is street motor mostly running @lower RPMS,so I took his word for it.Had no vibration when I got the car,just a little rod knock.I put in poly motor/trans mount so maybe I just didn't feel it.Any help would be appreciated,am pulling the motor cause I'm not happy w/the cam,gonna change it and put in a stall converter.Any thing I could check while it's apart?

Need help,@ 1400-1800 getting a vibration I can feel in the wheel,doesn't matter if the car is moving or sitting still in park or neutral.Although it is worst going down the road.About my engine:76 360 KB107 pistons,stock rods,crank,harmonic balancer,converter and flex plate.Guy who did machine work said no need to balance it since it is street motor mostly running @lower RPMS,so I took his word for it.Had no vibration when I got the car,just a little rod knock.I put in poly motor/trans mount so maybe I just didn't feel it.Any help would be appreciated,am pulling the motor cause I'm not happy w/the cam,gonna change it and put in a stall converter.Any thing I could check while it's apart?
Make sure you converter is for a 360 because its externally balanced.

The converter had weights on it so I'm assuming it's balanced.Planning on changing the converter,flex plate and harmonic balancer.Hope it takes care of problem.

Just got off the phone w/my brother,he thinks it may be the harmonic balancer
.Checked it w/piston stop to make sure it didn't slip.Could it still be bad?,it is 30 plus yrs old.

Have you tried running it with all belts disconnected?

Might have an early 340 balancer on it, but the later 340's were not the same balance as a 360, So it IS important to be sure it has the right balancer. If it's the same one as before the work was done, and it didn't rattle then, ????

What was changed? Pistons? Just that will unbalance the engine

Has the block been line bored? This may have changed the crank centerline enough that the trans/ crank are no longer in line

I'd be taking a good hard look at your machine shop/ engine builder. Get a second, 'er third opinion

I will try running it w/out belts after work today.I'm losing faith,the cam he recommended I hate,wanted to go w/a 340 grind cam,should've.It was line bored

Maybe the weight came off the torque converter

-
Back