vibs are a lot better,but

-

jdsduster

Reaction score
angle issues,today set it at,trans is 2 deg.down towards the rear,so i set the pinion at 1 deg. down.allowing for 3 deg rise from the pinion.the vibes before were so bad it would knock the rear view mirror down at 70 mph.today i have no vibes at 50,60,70, but at 80 they are noticeable,i ran it up to 90 and at least the mirror didnt fall.i think im close on the angle.but at 90 they get bad.any ideas? it has to still be the angle,because it got so much better with the change today.

What year Duster? Does it or did it have a cast iron damper bolted to the passenger rear exterior floor pan? Angle can help reduce the symptom of other issues like a sloppy tail shaft bushing but that would also be a leak monster. Have you double checked the phasing on your driveshaft yokes? A simple check with a level can tell you a lot.

Some of the factory shafts had a sleeve damper mounted in rubber inside the shaft. I gave up on the one in my Demon when I put the 4.30 gears in and had a new shaft made. That solved the issue. Have you had the axle blocked up and had someone hold it at speed while you look and listen?

new shaft from dennys.ive had it up on blocks in the past,but it was only me,sooo.kinda hard.i know its pinion angle because it got so much better today.i think im where i need to be with the trans 2 deg.down and the pinion 1 deg down.that should put them parelel(sp) under load.

Jd
You know it could be multiple problems, right?
Have you tried this: run it up to the vibration zone,put the trans in neutral, let the engine idle.If it still vibrates, it has to be from the front u-joint to the road.Do not put it back in gear at 90 mph/engine idling. But rather let the car coast back down to 50 ish.
I have seen out of round tires do that.Or a blown cord. The faster you go the worse it gets.Even tho the tires were balanced. Or a slightly bent rim, or a rim not running true.Or a slightly bent axle.Or wobbly drums.............

-
Back