VIDEO-1st run at the track 408 W2 RAN LIKE CRAP

-

73dart360

Reaction score
took the valiant to the 1/4 mile track just before the 1/8 mile point the car was breaking up real bad at about 3/4 track i lifted and tried to hit it again ,the day before i switched ignition system taking it back as soon as rain stops

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdF6AN6XcW8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdF6AN6XcW8[/ame]

What ignition are you running?Coil?I got my 408 out 3 weeks ago and got 3 runs in with my best being 11.32@120mph 1.65 60fts. spinning off the line.Let us know if you get it figured out and what it was?Be glad to help.

P.S Have you had your dizzy worked over?

i was using a Mopar electronic ignition recurved a black box , coil and ballast resistor from FBO im not exactly sure of the problem one thing i do know is my lash way wayyyy off, im using a tight lash cam , i switched back to the orange box seems to be running better if u turn up the volume youll hear how bad it was breaking up and still ran 12.19 LOL

I run all MSD 6AL,SS Blasre coil,8.5 MSD wires and have no ignition issues,just traction.You should be in the mid 10,s with your build.I personally wouldn,t trust the orange box,I,d go chrome atleast.

P.S Do you have your ammeter bypassed?I took mine out and just connected the 2 wires together.

i was thinking the same thing im running a electric fuel pump from aerospace 375 GPH
1/2" fuel line the fuel pressure is set at 7

did you check your floats?

and how is the carb jetted?

the carb was jetted by patrick at pro systems carbs probably the best around ,i think the carb was good , do you think i should increase fuel pressure

holley viton needle and seats dont like much more then 7 lbs of pressure.

were the floats checked on the car???

and do you know how it is jetted?

I guess ill have the fuel system checked out thoroughly before i even think about taking it to the track

Sounds suspiciously like my very stout 340 'shooting ducks' years ago. I ended up going to a Holley 850DP that most everybody thought was going to be way too big for a 340. It was just hungry.

did you happen to take a few plugs out and see if they were bone white or had any color to them?

yes checked plugs but not at the end of the track they looked good maybe i should put it on a chassis dyno?

most time went a car goes to the track for the first time ...there are tunning issues that need to be resolved....timing...fuel and jetting...

hang in there you will get it figured out....do you have any other times

like 60 ft...330 ft...or 660 ft...??

Adjusting the fuel psi wont help. Instead I would install a bigger i.d needle seat and adjust the float levels up a mite. Motor is under heaviest load in third gear wot and thats when you need the most fuel VOLUME.

9.5'' dynamic converter i think i tested it the other day ,it flashed at 3500 , when i left the line it bogged then went into a scream at about the 60 ft mark im running 391 gears with a 235-60-15 M/T slick

If it was ignition, at rpm in first, wouldn't it break up? Sounds like fuel problem.

I agree, also when you come out of the hole the fuel is not getting pushed back away from the pick up just yet " Assuming you have a stock tank " Fuel bowls are full at launch, after launch fuel is being drawn away from the pick up, bowls slowly cant keep up at where it starts to crap out on the track.

How much fuel was in the tank?

Just tossing ideas around here............

i was looking at the picture of the w2 motor in your gallery...pretty big exhaust ports....LOL

Are the heads fully ported and how big it the camshaft?

yes they are ported the heads flow 315 cfm at .600
the cam is a racer brown .597 in 560 Exhaust dur 272 with SM composite lifters

-
Back