Video's (youtube etc..)

-
I know flow number aren't everything, got any ideas why these LS heads can make well over 500 hp with mild ish cams and low cr with these heads that really don't flow overly well, for the power they get from a basic cam swap?

I’ve had this thought for a while. I think it’s the ports. I bet if you analyzed one of those ports you’d find it has good speed and port energy. Plus the combustion chamber is 40 years advanced vs our old iron heads.

And they respond to cam swaps well because the factory cams are tiny! On non HP engines, they have duration in the 190’s @ 0.050. Lift is around the .470’s which ain’t too bad, but either way. They’re baby cams.

Put a good head on one of our dinosaur engines and watch it come close to an LS engine. It’s been done here:

Re-testing 318 (dyno) after changes on Tues

Wouldn’t be surprised if adding 1.7 rockers and using a roller cam on that same engine would put it within spitting distance of a 5.3 with a similar sized cam and compression.

I’ve had this thought for a while. I think it’s the ports. I bet if you analyzed one of those ports you’d find it has good speed and port energy. Plus the combustion chamber is 40 years advanced vs our old iron heads.

And they respond to cam swaps well because the factory cams are tiny! On non HP engines, they have duration in the 190’s @ 0.050. Lift is around the .470’s which ain’t too bad, but either way. They’re baby cams.

Put a good head on one of our dinosaur engines and watch it come close to an LS engine. It’s been done here:

Re-testing 318 (dyno) after changes on Tues

Wouldn’t be surprised if adding 1.7 rockers and using a roller cam on that same engine would put it within spitting distance of a 5.3 with a similar sized cam and compression.
I was thinking similar, but even still though the popular LS 706 is topping 230 cfm @ .700 getting 2 -2.4 hp per cfm with what most would consider fairly mild cams for the output.

Magnums are know to respond well to cams and don't flow that much worse, seems to make like a 100 hp less with similar cams on a 5.9l.

I imagine the ports are efficient but that seems super efficient.

But I do notice there exhaust ports flows really well was thinking that had a bunch to do with it too.

I was thinking similar, but even still though the popular LS 706 is topping 230 cfm @ .700 getting 2 -2.4 hp per cfm with what most would consider fairly mild cams for the output.

Magnums are know to respond well to cams and don't flow that much worse, seems to make like a 100 hp less with similar cams on a 5.9l.

I imagine the ports are efficient but that seems super efficient.

But I do notice there exhaust ports flows really well was thinking that had a bunch to do with it too.

I noticed the thing with the exhaust ports too. A 5.3 head gets better flow with a smaller valve than a magnum head. Heck, the LS3 heads have tiny 1.59 exhaust valves that can flow in the 190's @ .500 with that port. Thats still a smaller valve than the Magnum.

It's a Chev head but what I found interesting was 2.08 valve tested with bores of 4.03" vs 4.155"
Had very little difference in flow.

I noticed the thing with the exhaust ports too. A 5.3 head gets better flow with a smaller valve than a magnum head. Heck, the LS3 heads have tiny 1.59 exhaust valves that can flow in the 190's @ .500 with that port. Thats still a smaller valve than the Magnum.

Old tech head w/a MP 1.60 vs new tech LS 1.59, not a whole lot to gloat about there! Why not bring up a poly head for comparison?!?! LMAO. I’m not beating on you bro. This just reminds me of a guy that I used to work with. Chevy is the GOD for him.

He walks in on a conversation with me and another and asks why the MoPar is my choice. He instantly jumps how inferior MoPar is by jumping to the LS when I’m talking about/working with a LA or Poly head. And! The years difference between them is not of any consequence. The fact that technology rolls on people get smarter and invent better stuff doesn’t count.

We have been shown the better the cylinder head up top the better the power for decades while most common complaint here is how **** sucks for us and the SBM TF head is said to be to much on a street and a low compression engine. (Under 10-1)
That and (insert a cam spec) is to large and to much lift for the street, you will be doing maintaining duities 2 times a month of your valve train (more bullshit) changing spark plugs twice a month, (and more bullshit) and etc…..

There is a sea of people crying the blues but yet ignore what has been shown over and over and over again.

I’ve been saying this for so long, put the best head you can afford up top and lift your valves as much as the head/springs can handle and power will be granted. Works each and every time.

(Now enter the clowns telling me different even though Detroit has been doing this for a good while now, member IQ52 demonstrates this in his threads, as well as a few other members….)

But yet they come back with an excuse and some scientific babble as why it’s a bad move or won’t work. There bullshit is so good it almost can convince me if I haven’t already done it half a dozen times.

This is a 3 video series on a 71 Dart that we modified.
This 318 is now in my 72 yellow Dart.
I helped him with some of the stuff like OD install and floor mods it needed, plus the exhaust redesign to go around the Gear Vendors OD.

FYI, my YouTube channel is mopars4us.
A like and subscribe would be cool thank you.

-
Back