VIN matching 68 cuda

-

fcdonatelli

Reaction score
i bought a 68 cuda convertible and the numbers on the dash are BH27F8B189405 on the rad support and trunk the numbers are B8BI89405. aren't these supposed to match? the title matches the dash but im not sure if the VIN plate is original. i can not find a picture of what the VIN should look like. from what i gather alot of things changed from 68 to 69 and my local guru is not sure the differences. please help.

On a 68 the vin will not be on the fender tag.The fender tag will have the shipping order number and that number will also be on the buildsheet.

what does the fender tag say? 68 and earlier used the VON number not the VIN.
Core support and the left trunk seal lip and fender tag should match.

eww - that VIN tag is homemade. Even the rivets are incorrect. With that said I am not saying the car is fake but certainly tampered with. Look under the back seat and see if you can find the broadcast sheet

WTF! That is a homemade tag and a poor attempt at that!Unless you have the State issue a vin tag it looks like you may have a parts car.

And come to think of it you should not have a vin on the radiator support either! That number will be the shipping order number as well.69 Was the first year for the vin on the radiator support and fender tag.Any pics of the rad. numbers?

You can find a new title and tags and take your chances.Or you can call the state police and have them run the vin you have.And if the vin checks out some states will issue a State vin. It will be there own made up number and have nothing to do with the original vin numbers.
You may be screwed because all the numbers on the body it self are shipping order numbers and not vin numbers.If you get pull over with the vin tag you have now your car will be impounded by the State.

Sounds like the vin although homemade matches the rad support and the trunk lip...they didnt stamp the entire vin on the trunk lip or the rad support. Plus you have a title that matches what you have. I would think you should be able to go to DMV and get it rectified. ...Post in our "lost and found" forum the vin tag you are looking for...its a long shot but worth a try. Oh post pics of your fendertag as well...we can decode it for you

You will need:
1) broadcast sheet - showing both VON and VIN
2) both VON's off of the core sup and trunk lip
3) title
with that information being all correct. data tags might be able to make him a VIN tag (depending on his state law)

Steve in 68 the vin should not match the von numbers (core support and trunk lip) That started in 69. But if I was going to make a phony why make it a 318? might be a legit car with jacked up stuff or someone lost the org vin plate.

Sounds like the vin although homemade matches the rad support and the trunk lip...the didnt stamp the entire vin on the trunk lip or the rad support. Plus you have a title that matches what you have. I would think you should be able to go to DMV and get it rectified. ...Post in our "lost and found" forum the vin tag you are looking for...its a long shot but worth a try. Oh post pics of your fendertag as well...we can decode it for you

Steve in 68 the vin should not match the von numbers (core support and trunk lip) That started in 69.

Sounds like the prev owner went to a lot of work to do whatever he did...Is it possible its a late 68 build and they started stamping vins in those areas??

The vin will not match the body! The numbers on the body in 1968 are shipping order numbers not vin numbers.
The shipping order numbers are on the radiator support,trunk lip,fender tag,window sticker,and bulidsheet.
The Vin numbers are on the dash tag,buildsheet,window sticker,and title.

The vin will not match the body! The numbers on the body in 1968 are shipping order numbers not vin numbers.
The shipping order numbers are on the radiator support,trunk lip,fender tag,window sticker,and bulidsheet.

i dont know why this is so hard for people to understand...

A partial vin should be on engine and trans also. but w/o broadcast sheet/ build sheet there is nothing to tie it together.

-
Back